My knees went stiff

Options

I was diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis. It's been the same stiffness for ages, then suddenly my knees went stiff instead, after only some 12minute exercises on a stepping platform. The knees have been stiff now for a month so I am wondering what to do. I took a hospital blood test and going to report the knees to the Rheumatology help line at the hospital to see what they say - I have asked them if they want me to see a doctor, but I think it will be a week before they come back about it. All I am doing for the knees so far is flexing them during the day until they loosen up.

Tagged:

Comments

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 393
    Options

Hospital reported back on the blood test that the factors are down, CRP 5, ESR 10

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi@Baloo

Thanks for you post to the Helpline. It's always possible to develop a musculoskeletal problem on top of your main kind of arthritis. We can't diagnose here unfortunately. If it's something which is making day to day life difficult and if it's not improved within a couple of weeks then it may be helpful to discuss it with a healthcare professional.

If you can talk to a GP or a physiotherapist then they may be able to point you in the right direction.

You might want to try using some of our gentle exercise information and including some of those ideas into your daily routine, and reviewing your healthy eating will always be helpful.

Knee pain | Causes, treatments and self-management (versusarthritis.org)

Exercising with arthritis | Top tips, specific exercises (versusarthritis.org)

If you'd like a chat, do ring us on our freephone 08005200520 9am-6pm Mon-Fri.

All the best

Guy - Helpline Team

• Baloo
    Options

Thank you Guy @helpline_team I sat quietly to have a read of those and noticed how technical things really are compared to just getting an unexpected ache that can be ignored and one day it goes away. I have gone for the gentle exercise solution in daily routine so far. I can manage sit stand (and then go to another room to do something) so its not so bad as I thought it might be.

• Baloo
    edited 30. Apr 2022, 18:16
    Options

I think there is a move to say take exercise instead of painkillers. Anyway, I hobbled back to the office for a month, around 8,000 steps a day, since they can't bear the idea of us working from home. Somewhat painful on the knees and ankles shuffling around, standing up, descending stairs because the lift broke, feeling grossly fatigued after lunch (aka micro sleeps don't tell the boss). I nearly gave up and then . . I got on my bicycle, which has always been my preferred mode of transport, and there was nothing. No pain. Complete freedom of movement when before it was all too much stiffness to feel safe. It was amazing. The first long distance takeaway I delivered to home myself for maybe six months, plus a decent work out.

• Baloo
    Options

Knee ache wasn't the end. Then my feet swelled up. Then my feet broke out in an itchy rash and sores. The swelling has gone all up my legs and will need compression stockings. The rash was all up my body until I was allowed to hit it with some steroids. I feel ok but it sure takes a lot of nursing.

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi Baloo,

Thank you for posting again on our Helpline forum. I am sorry to hear you have been going through such a rough time.

If at any point you would like to talk things through informally and in confidence, you are welcome to call our Free Helpline on 0800 520 0520 weekdays 9am – 6pm.

Posting on our Living with Arthritis forum may generate more responses from people living with similar symptoms and challenges.

Best wishes,

Fiona, Helpline Advisor 

• Baloo
    edited 29. Jan 2023, 08:46
    Options

Pow. My knees when stiff again yesterday. I was thinking they seem nice and loose, so lets check how much movement I have. I could lock them straight and I could bend my knees up to my chest on my back, a bit stiff there but no pain. So now, I can barely walk and had to get my stick out or I'm going to fall over. Duh. I did nothing and my knees have gone stiff and painful. I took an Ibuprofen for now and see what happens. (Re-posted to Living With Arthritis).