Hello

Options
Linjs22
Linjs22 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hi my name is Lin and I am 67 yrs old. I have recently been diagnosed with OA in my knee by x ray after twisting my knee whilst standing! It was very painful to start with but i have been taking paracetamol, and in the first instance wearing a knee support and also rubbing knee with ibruprofen gel. That was now two weeks ago and i am trying to keep knee moving by walking daily and going to start using a floor based cycle to get some movement. Is there anything else i can do to help the condition please? also on a mediterranean style diet to try and lose some weight and help my high cholesterol. I started statins about 2 months ago and it feels my joints have got worse since then? any advice greatly received, thank you!

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968
    Options

Hello @Linjs22 and welcome to the online community,

You've recently been diagnosed with OA in your knee after twisting it while standing, and you're looking for some advice about how to manage your condition. From what you've said, it sounds like you've made a great start in helping yourself to deal with the pain. Exercise, diet, appropriate medication and a positive attitude go a long way to helping you live with OA and you are ticking all those boxes!

You might like to have a look at some tailored exercises for the knee that can help with the pain and keep you mobile. They're from the Versus Arthritis website, which is a good place to look for up to date information:

There's also a page on diet for arthritis, which includes the mediterranean diet, that yu might like to read:

It will be interesting to hear from other members about how they manage their arthritis, and also whether statins affect their joints.

Do have a look round the forum - the Living with Arthritis forum is a good place to see how other members are living and managing with their condition. Feel free to join in any conversations or post further questions.

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm