Spring Booster injection

I have had three covid-19 injections the last was on 2/11/21 . The last one was a full injection not a booster and I was told then that I should have a booster in six months which is now, but I haven’t been contacted to book one. I have read the website but find it unclear any advice? Thanks.

Comments

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 691

I think the booster could be given 12 weeks after the third primary dose. I had my 3rd primary dose on 5/11/21 and my booster on 29/1/22. I didn't get notified to book it but called the vaccine helpline and they booked me in for it.

• JenHB
    JenHB Member Posts: 131

I had a text inviting me to book - although I'm probably in a slightly different situation as I had 2, then a booster in December. At that point I hadn't been diagnosed with RA so only started on MTX in March but got a text a couple of weeks ago and had it on Friday (and still feel rough/very tired/knees aching again: and I had pfizer each time)

• jamieA
    edited 4. May 2022, 06:25

Hi @Gubby

Here is the NHS site details for booster and spring booster timescale.

You can get a booster dose from 3 months after your additional primary dose.

If it has been at least 3 months since you had your booster dose, you can also get a spring booster.

If you have not yet had a booster dose, you can get a spring booster from 3 months after your additional primary dose.

• Hi Gubby

Thank you for posting on the helpline forum about the booster vaccine, here is some information that may help, other than that if you call the 119 Covid Helpline they should be able to help you.

JCVI will be recommending that all people over the age of 12 who are immunosuppressed receive a 3rd dose of the COVID-19 vaccine in order to increase their level of protection.

This recommendation for a 3rd dose is separate from the booster programme – it is intended as a 3rd priming dose of the vaccine to improve people’s initial level of protection rather than to re-up waning immunity.

Guidance will set out 8 weeks as the recommended spacing between receiving the 2nd and 3rd dose, although it may be different in practice for people who are starting/finishing certain treatments that may significantly impact their immune response – in those cases clinicians will be expected to use their discretion and discuss the best course of action with their patients.  

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor

• jamieA

I live in Scotland and things are slightly different here. The NHS Scotland website - nhsinform.scot - is a bit confusing with regard the spring booster vaccine.

It states :-

'If you're in one of these groups, you may have already received a booster dose last autumn or winter.

As you're now also eligible for the spring booster dose, NHS Scotland will contact you to arrange your appointment at the right time for you. Please wait to be invited forward.

The spring booster dose will usually be offered around 6 months since your last dose of the coronavirus vaccine. Some people may be invited sooner than this (at least 3 months since their last dose) to help protect them against any increase in coronavirus infections.'

It's been over 3 months since I had a booster (4th vaccine) and a number of family and friends have recently had covid so I called the NHS Scotland Vaccine Helpline just to enquire what's happening. The agent I spoke to said the spring booster for the immunosuppressed is being handled by the local health board in the same way as the 3rd primary vaccine was done and not through the vaccine helpline. The agent suggested I talk to my rheumatology clinic or GP to ensure that the request is forwarded.

• jamieA

Just an update on this. I left a message on my rheumatology clinic helpline at the end of last week. I was called back today and though the nurse didn't have all the latest details on the 5th vaccine/2nd booster/spring booster she emailed the health board vaccine unit whilst I was still on the line. An hour later the vaccine unit called me and booked me in for Sunday morning. Both my wife and my son have contracted covid recently so I'm happy to take any further protection on offer.