Hip arthritis

Options
Pain21
Pain21 Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hi, I've recently been told I have arthritis in my hip. What medication do you recommend please.

Comments

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Pain21. I see that you have recently been given a diagnosis of arthritis in your hip. Here is a link to our website with information on the condition:

and to some hints on living with arthritis:

You ask for advice on specific medication. I am afraid that this is not something we can do, your GP or consultant is the person to deal with this. However, on the forum you will find comments on what others have found helpful.

Take care and let us know how you are getting on.

Tom, Moderator.

• Lilymary
    Lilymary Member Posts: 1,741
    Options

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis. The medication will depend on how much the pain is affecting you, and any other medical conditions/medications you're on, and how well you can tolerate any side effects. Most of us on here are on very different prescriptions, so I agree with Tom, you need to speak to your GP or consultant. Once the arthritis becomes more advanced I'm afraid the medication will only take the edge off the pain to make it more bearable and keep you at least moderately mobile, but it's easier to manage in the early stages. Meanwhile, losing any surplus weight and keeping yourself fit and active to build the muscles around your hip will help reduce the strain on the joint and help manage the pain, and in the longer term, usually aids recovery post hip replacement surgery.