Help and advice on managing my newly diagnosed condition

Maisy
Maisy Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hi I’ve just been diagnosed with osteoarthritis my right knee is particularly painful I wonder if anyone could offer advice with managing the pain

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 877

Hello @Maisy and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have osteoarthritis and that your right knee is worst. I also understand that you are looking for ways to manage the pain. Have you had a look at our website? It contains a lot of useful information and I would recommend having a look around it. To help I've put a couple of links in below.

Please do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their thoughts and experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Fran54
    Fran54 Member Posts: 176

Hi Maisie,

I too have osteoarthritis in my right knee. Were you diagnosed by your Doctor? If so, it would be a good idea to check with him/her if they can give you something for the pain. I was given Naproxen and Omeprazole ( to help protect the stomach lining ) when the pain is worse, otherwise on relatively good days I take Paracetamol. Also, my Doctor referred me to Physio, which I have been given specific exercises to do at home.

The medication does help and I think the exercises are also helping, but need to keep doing them.

Take comfort in the fact that you are not alone with this and there are some very friendly/helpful people on here who may be able to give you more advice.

Take care.😊

• Maisy

Hi Fran

I was diagnosed by my doctor and at the moment I am on 5% gel and paracetamol this helps but they have offered me stronger pain medication I’m not really sure if I want to take stronger pain relief I wondered if anyone might have a coping strategy for the bad days I’ve been put on the list for a knee replacement but who knows how long this will take 🤷‍♀️ thank you for your reply it’s good to know that I’m not alone in this

take care Maisy

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

@Maisy

Nice to meet you😊

Everyone is different, but there are lots of things you can try. I like using a microwavable wheat bag? I find it helps with my OA pain not so much with the other kind of Arthritis (inflammatory) I have which prefers cold! If it helps you can get heat patches to wear on your knees when you're out and about.

I know one or two have said they use knee braces at times and it can help to consider a walking aid when you have to walk long distance. Most of is do gentle exercises daily which honestly does help I know when I have to go too many days without things definitely get worse.

Some days though it's best just to feet up and distract yourself with something TV, jigsaws whatever helps you get through.

Take care

Toni x

• Maisy

Thank you for your advice it’s been such a shock to be told I have this condition I just thought I had wrenched my knee and it would go away eventually when I saw 👀 the X-rays of my knee I couldn’t believe it 🫣 I’ve always been active and not really a fan of pain relief but walking on the flat is not to bad at the moment stairs are a very different problem i will definitely try the heat/ cold patches I’m waiting for physio but may book some privately because the wait is long if I could have a few sessions and learn the exercises I hoping I can manage the pain

take care 👋