had joint injections what is expected is surgery better

Had right knee and left shoulder injections at the hospital, the knee one was very painful and although he said i can have the other knee done in a couple of months I will not be doing it. He also said they could do keyhole on both knees and wash them out as there are crystals and debris? What is the outcome from the operation is it a good thing. Would cleaning the joints be an answer to the pain. I cannot do the injection into my knee the shoulder one was okay though. To top it off the next day had to have a tooth out. My shoulder is much better but knee is still sore.

Comments

• Hi@Carolannf

Thanks for your post to the Helpline and sorry to hear that you've had quite a bit of arthritis affecting different parts of the body.

I don't know what kind of arthritis you have, whether it's osteoarthritis or another type.

Conditions | Types of arthritis, causes, treatments (versusarthritis.org)

Arthroscopy has been mentioned to you and that's not offered as much as in the past. It's offered in a limited number of circumstances now such as when the knee is locking.

To support you, we'd need to know your diagnosis. Why not ring us for a chat on 0800 5200 520 Mon-Fri 9am-6pm.

If you'd be interested in hearing other people's experiences of different treatments, you might post on the living with arthritis forum.

If you are cautious about invasive treatments, you might want to pay particular attention to your daily exercise routines and to keep your weight down.

Hope we can have a chat and support you further.

Kind regards

Guy

• Carolannf
    Carolannf Member Posts: 21
    edited 9. May 2022, 12:40

Hi i do not know what type of arthritis i have assume osteo as not been told but was told I could have both knees cleaned out as there are loose bodies in both, and calcium crystals. My right knee gives way, they said they would do them both. I do not have improvement yet from the injection which was last thursday.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Just further to Guy's reply - here's what the BMJ say:

• "We make a strong recommendation against the use of arthroscopy in nearly all patients with degenerative knee disease, based on linked systematic reviews; further research is unlikely to alter this recommendation." https://www.bmj.com/content/357/bmj.j1982

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Carolannf

thank you for the info. I am not sure what i can do as i am not able to take NSAID as I have had stomach surgery. I also have emphysema, which impacts what i can do, but i am not overweight. I will be asking for a diagnosis next time I see him, I really cannot do the joint injection into my knee its okay in the shoulder. It has not done anything anyway, my shoulder is a little better but still dodgy. I also have cervical spine spondylosis and they have now told me something wrong with bottom of spine not sure what that is yet. I am between a rock and a hard place.

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 691

Hi @Carolannf

I had 8 left knee and right shoulder steroid injections in 2020/21. I think it depends on who does it how painful it is or not. The first one I had in my knee was attempted (painfully) 5 times by a young doctor before giving up and calling in her boss. Some of the doctors have offered a local anaesthetic before the injections. In one case a rheumatology professor used me as a teaching aid for one of his young staff. He gave me half a local anaesthetic, full steroid and then half local anaesthetic through a single needle injection - the commentary wasn't directed at me but his young student doctor. I've also had 5 of steroid injections into the large muscle in my backside - their thinking being that an injection there travels through your system and calms multiple inflammatory joints. Maybe it would be worthwhile having a discussion with your rheumatologist to find ways of ameliorating the pain you felt.

• stickywicket

Yours is, indeed, a tricky situation. Many of us, for various reasons, are unable to take NSAIDS but I'd guess that, with emphysema, opioids might be out too for you.

Another guess - it sounds as if yours is OA not an inflammatory form of arthritis and will, therefore, be dealt with by your GP not a rheumatologist. I'd suggest a good talk with your GP about options and maybe ask for a refereal to a physio and to a Pain Clinic.

Steven Wright
  • Carolannf
    edited 10. May 2022, 04:45

Hi Stickywicket

I am on a waiting list for physio, with no date whatsoever. I am seeing a Rheumatologist, he said I would be under them and not discharged I asked that at my appointment with getting the injections as was a bit scared of a reaction or something and wondered where I would go. I am going to ask at my next appointment what type of arthritis I have.

I am puzzled about the crystals never knew that you could get crystals except for gout, which I do not have.

• stickywicket
    Steven Wright
  • Hi@Carolannf

Here's some further information about osteoarthritis of the knee.

When you've got a lot on your mind it can be especially helpful to ring us, so we can understand the fuller picture and listen to you.

Osteoarthritis (OA) of the knee | Knee pain | Versus Arthritis

Kind regards

Guy

• Carolannf

hi Thank you for the info. i have problems with my spine, knees, shoulders ankles and now my heel as well. Been having stabbing headaches since the 2 shots, the shoulder was okay the knee was not, it was a week ago tomorrow and my knee is still painful but not where the injection went in. I tried capsican cream and am not keen as you have to be so careful not to touch it, and GP was not happy to prescribe it either, told me i could buy it. I am in the process of a some major dental work on top of all this rubbish. And of course cannot take many painkillers as i have emphysema. I had malabsorption as well and take prescribed vitamins, calcium. and under active thyroid. I suppose i just have to get on with it.

• Hi @Carolannf

Thank you again for posting on the forum, I'm sorry to hear you have so much going on. I'd like to reiterate what my colleague Guy suggested to you about ringing the helpline: 0800 5200 520 (weekdays 9am - 6pm.) Here we can take our time to talk informally and in confidence, a listening ear can sometimes be helpful.

Best wishes

Lynda

Helpline team