Metoject (Methotrexate) pen - Leaking Methotrexate

I had my first dose of methotrexate by Metoject pen today (switched from tablets to pen to reduce some of the gastric side effects of the tablets)

The self injection process went well, the only problem I had was - when I removed the yellow needle protector, some of the Methotrexate dripped out onto my leg.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Just wondered if it was known to happen - my local health board no longer provide injection training, so all I had to go on was the video on the Metoject website. The video is great but doesn’t cover the ‘what ifs’. One to one training with an experienced rheumatology nurse would likely prepare you for such events.

Comments

• MikeyRH
    MikeyRH Member Posts: 4

Hi Caleb 1981

Yes I have experienced that every so often but don’t find it effects the injection process

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

I'm sure it's ok, but of course you could ring your rheumatology helpline for advice to be on the safe side?

I really hope it helps you better than the tablets.

Take care

Toni x

• Clair
    Clair Member Posts: 4

Thats happened to me a few times too, it seemed like a small amount so didn’t worry too much but may be best to check with your Rheumatology helpline. Would be interested to know how you get on. X

• Bella59
    Bella59 Member Posts: 33

Can occasionally happen,I mopped up with hankie carefully binned it and washed hands thoroughly.

• Caleb1981
    Caleb1981 Member Posts: 33

Thanks @Mikey , @Froglet , @Clair & @Bella59,

Thanks for replying and reassuring me that it is prone to happening.

I spoke to the pharmacy and they said it shouldn’t really happen but is probably just the way it’s designed. Think it just caught me off guard, I’ll be expecting it next time. I didn’t have the pen pointing upwards when I took the protector off the needle, don’t think that helped. Will see how it goes this Thursday 🤞🏻.

I was going to call the rheumatology help line but the very few times I’ve called them in the past, they always sound a bit ‘inconvenienced’ - when they eventually call back. It puts me off calling them .