Feeling so alone

Options
Cookie
Cookie Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hello everyone. I joined this community so that I can talk to people who may be going through the same thing as me. After being treated for what my doctor thought was gout, I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis and fibromyalgia in 2018. I was given various medications to try but nothing was helping me. Then the pandemic struck.. I was having ‘phone consultations’ every 6 months, all the while being given different pills, most of which I couldn’t even tolerate. I have felt so alone, with nobody to turn to. My condition has deteriorated rapidly, I can barely walk, and I’m in constant pain. I have now been told that I’m to be put on biologics. I’ve heard so much about the bad side effects they can cause, and how they could leave you vulnerable to picking up any infection going around. I’m torn right now and don’t know what I should do. I just want my life back. Sorry for rambling on.

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 968
    Options

Hello @Cookie and welcome to the online community,

You joined the community because you're feeling alone after your diagnosis of RA and you want to talk to others who may be going through a similar situation. Well, you're not alone any more, because all of our members know what it's like to live with arthritis, and I'm sure they will offer you support and a kindly word.

Also, if you want to chat to someone, you could call our helpline number - there's someone there to listen and give you tailored support from 9am - 6pm every weekday. Here's the number:

You've been told that you're going to be put on biologics, and it's understandable that you're feeling torn about what to do. Again, many of our members are on biologics, and by and large, they have found them to be really helpful. Here's some posts from a recent thread about biologics - why don't you have a read, and then maybe post any questions you have? :

If you want to find out a bit more about biologics, plus read stories from people whose lives have been made much better from using them, then you could read the Versus Arthritis page below:

Do let us know how you're getting on, and always remember that you're among friends,

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Clair
    Clair Member Posts: 4
    Options

I was diagnosed in 2019 and I feel the same, like there’s no one around to speak to who understands. I’m already on Hydroxychloroquinine and gabapentin, and recently started methotrexate injections and steroids. Scared at how this condition will progress and scared of how I have fundamentally changed as a person - from an active person with a busy life to what feels like nothing. I think I’m going through a period of acceptance. I’m new to the group and would like to make some connections with like-minded people who can motivate me to a more positive future! I can ramble on forever too! ☺️