Hip osteoarthritis fear and worry

Lily_Mouse
Lily_Mouse Member Posts: 14
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hello everyone, I've just registered on this site after a very recent diagnosis of hip osteoarthritis. I've been in excruciating pain now for over 6 months and have tried endless rounds of physiotherapy and pain relief. I've not been advised to have a hip replacement. I'm 53 and really fearful of the future. I've been told that hip replacements last 20 years at best and worry about replacement hip surgery when I'm much older. I wondered if anyone could offer me any advice or support through their own experience to (hopefully!) reassure me? Thanks very much. It's great to meet you all.

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 794
    edited 14. May 2022, 05:30

Hi @Lily_Mouse

Welcome to the online community,glad you felt able to talk about yourself

You say that you have just been diagnosed with Osteoarthritis and are in a lot of pain and have endless rounds of physiotherapy and pain relief.Also you have been told you need a hip replacement lasting 20years and you are fearful for when you are older and may need another.

I have ostoarthritis too and have had a hip replacement a few years ago now,it was a great relief to me as the pain in my hip has gone,the replacements now are very good and feel assured it was the best decision for me,asfor how long it will last i will face that when it happens,for now life is good.

No matter what you decide the support you get on these forums are fantastic everyone so friendly and helpful so please continue to chat.

Here are a few links that may help

Hope these help in some way.Please let us know how you get on

All The best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Hi Christine, welcome to the forum. I introduced myself yesterday with a post on medical cannabis. Please take a look at my thoughts on pain management and follow my journey if your interested. Physio and opioids does not work for me.

I had a full hip replacement on my left side in February 2020 and a full hip replacement on my right side 10 weeks ago. I am also waiting for both of my knees to be replaced. I am hoping to space these out as I am 45 now and have been told they will need to be redone every 15 years, so potentially 2 or 3 times each. I started a new job inbetween the 2 operations but thankfully I managed to transfer to to my new companies health insurance scheme without a break in cover so my rheumatoid arthritis is covered. Glad I got the hip replacements but worried my new employer won't be so supportive when they realise how many operations my future has in store.

All the best with whatever you decide.

Dannyboy

• Lily_Mouse
    Lily_Mouse Member Posts: 14

Hi Dannyboy and Christine

Hearing your stories have really put my mind at rest, thanks so much. It's really great to hear that I'm not the only one going through this and your experiences with the hip replacements has really helped to quell my fear. Due to current ongoing pain and trying to deal with things just through physio and pain relief I've had to take sick leave from work (the effects from strong drugs are almost as difficult to cope with as the chronic pain I find!) and so far my employer has been supportive. However I really worry how long this will go on for, and am even more anxious about reductions in my sick pay as time goes on....which will probably be a while due to the impending surgery too...having to worry about how you're going to pay your bills, rent and to eat is really not what you need when you're having to cope with real pain and fear is it? I hope your new employer remains supportive for you Dannyboy....

Apologies for the rant by the way! :)