Pain relief

Hi, I was diagnosed with severe arthritis in my hip in January.

Currently taking Naproxen and Amitriptyline. The pain has generally been under control but what do you take when, for whatever reason, the pain suddenly increases. Been really settled for weeks then this morning, woke up and it's awful.

Any recommendations? Thanks

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Morning @ClaireB1974

You should have a painkiller to add to that for 'breakthrough' pain as you describe. It can be as simple as paracetamol right up to the morphine some of us here take. I suggest if your GP isn't forthcoming you speak to your pharmacist for advice.

My first pain meds stronger than paracetamol was over the counter paracetamol and codeine.

Best of luck

Toni x

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579

The more painkillers you take, the more your body will need to get the same relief as your body gets used to them, painkillers are only a short term remedy.

So you need to learn other ways to lower your pain, cognisant skills, heat, breathing, local analgesics, exercise to name but a few, ask yourGP for a referral to the Pain Clinic and the may put you on a Pain Course to help you, they will teach you ways to help. And of course search this forum for more info.

pits a grin, honest!

• Previous to my recent hip replacement I took naproxen 500mg twice a day for about 3 years. I wasn't sure it did much until I missed it out, it definitely helped. For the times when the pain got worse my GP gave me cocodamol to take when needed, which did help. Nothing took the pain away, just dropped it to tolerable.

If you are taking naproxen regularly make sure you are taking something for gastric protection such as omeprazole, lansoprazole etc or you will get gastritis.

Have you seen anyone about having a hip replacement?