Gadget wish list...

Rubikscubeboy
Rubikscubeboy Member Posts: 44
edited 12. Aug 2022, 11:48 in Living with arthritis

Does anyone have any thoughts on medical equipment that may make there lives easier? The raised toilet seat, long handled shoe horn and reach grabber that they gave me in hospital after my hip replacements are examples that already exist but I was thinking about anything new or that could be done better that people can think of however whacky it may be. My first thought is something to help you put on surgical stockings.

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Any disability store has loads of stuff. eg https://www.abilitysuperstore.com/

Also simple things like lightweight (cheap) kettles, steaming veg not boiling (lighter and healthier) and lightweight, cordless vacs.

i doubt a gadget will ever be invented that can pull on surgical stockings 😉 Even able-bodied people struggle. I usually wear mine, post-op, until they dig in a bit too much then cut them off.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Thanks for the link I will take a look. I was more thinking things that people thought would be handy but not yet available.

Do you know of a good way to transport a pair of crutches on a wheelchair that doesn't mean putting them in a really difficult position to reach?

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Sorry, no. I can't use crutches but my rollator has a neat little plastic ring with an appropriate holder lower down, to store a walking stick. Maybe something similar would work. Maybe some expensive wheelchairs already have them.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • alexander1
    alexander1 Member Posts: 70

Hi I bought some foldable walking sticks which fit in my wheelchair and mobility scooter bag.

side bar for bed to get up and out is good or a bed ladder. Use a sock aid for socks if not good

use hickies instead of laces which are great

inhave knee pillows neck pillows(shaped) from Amazon

good luck

• RogerBill
    RogerBill Member Posts: 223

A few I found useful:

1 Loop of string to hang easy grabber on crutch when moving around

2 Bricks under sofa to raise height - more secure with castors in hollows of bricks than some raisers I've seen sold online

3 I made a wood platform mounted on castors for my favourite chair to raise it's height and make it easy to move around

4 Rucksack to carry things in when moving around

5 A cheap electronic tally counter to keep track of the number of repetitions of each exercise

6 Raised toilet seat with handles - a must as the simple raised toilet seat the hospital provided proved to be an instrument of torture 😊

7 Plastic carrier bag to make it easier to swivel around in car passenger seat

8 Insulated drink canister with sealed top for moving around

9 Sock puller used with talcum powder if feet are damp after shower

10 Shoe horn

11 Hand hold in shower. The one I bought with suckers didn't hold well on tiles, instead I slit some plastic tube along it's length to fit over the shower door frame which was OK for me as I'm tall enough. A loop of rope around a substantial fitting such as a shower head bracket could also help.

12 Notebook and pencil to record pills taken, pain level, distance walked, exercises done, questions for next physio appointment, etc

13 Dressing gown belt to use under thigh to lift leg. I didn't need this but I know others did.

14 Large plastic carrier bag under heels to help feet slide on bed for some exercises

15 Something under ankles in bed to stop sore heels. I used an old padded jacket and two ice packs from a heat/cold belt I had for back pain.

16 Heat pad. I used the bean bag sort which are quick to heat in a microwave. Some like ice packs but I preferred heat.

• RogerBill

17 Info online in this forum and Lou Grant's free videos and documents (Lou is a physiotherapist based near Leeds, UK who had a hip replacement a few years ago).

• RogerBill

18 Leki walking pole. These extend to adjust length and to pack in a short length. Compared with most walking sticks they're much lighter and have a loop to place around wrist although they are expensive.

• RogerBill

19 Sketchers shoes have a softer sole than most so provides good shock absorbing.