Got diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis last week

clare73
clare73 Member Posts: 11
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:08 in Living with arthritis

Hi I’m new here I’ve been doing some research on rheumatoid arthritis I found this group which might help me. I found out last week I’ve got inflammatory rheumatoid arthritis which was a bit of a shock to me.All started last November when I noticed pain in my left knee had X-ray was told I’ve got osteoarthritis just take painkillers but over the months I’ve got worse my hands my wrist my ankles and toes all have pain snd get swollen. Had test done and told I’ve got ra it’s affecting my job which I had to tell them today I’m not able to do anymore has it’s s very physical job so I’m putting my health first and I’m going on the sick for a month so I can rest. I had injection in my knee in January for pain but it only lasted 7 weeks and then I felt even worse when it wore off. Saw my doctor last Wednesday and she gave me another steroid injection but in my bum. I’m starting on medication soon but I have to have test they said to see if my body can cope with it. Anyway just wanted to say hello and tell my story think I’m gonna like it on here loads of information.

clare

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317

Hello @clare73

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us.

So you were diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis last week after struggling for some time. The problem started in your knee but when it was investigated, you were told you had Osteoarthritis. However since then you have steadily gotten worse with swelling and pain in your hands, wrist, ankles and toes. You had a steroid injection in January but it only lasted 7 weeks and you felt worse afterwards. You've had another last week to tie you over until you started your medication but have to have some tests first to make sure our body can handle it. You have told your work and have taken a months sick leave so that you can rest.

It sounds like you have had an eventful year so far but it sounds like you have the right attitude with everything that is going on. It may take awhile before everything settles down, especially when it comes to starting medication but once it does, you will be able to do pretty much everything you can do now. You will learn to listen to your body and you will learn what it needs and what works for you in time. Remember to take it one day at a time and to take it easy on yourself. You are going to have days when you feel really low but just know that you are capable of getting through them because of what you have already gone through this year.

Ive attached some information below that I think will be useful to you. I hope that you find it interesting and that it helps.

Please do let us know how you are getting on and do keep getting involved in the community, we are always looking to make new friends.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Hi Clare,

Yes, that sounds like RA.. A mean little so and so, isn't it?

The knee injection? They work, for a while, for some people some of the time but are very unpredictable. The one in the rear is to work more generally and, personally, I've had more - temporary - success with them. I think the idea is to make life a bit easier for you until the DMARDS (Disease Modifying Anti Rheumatic Drugs) start to work. They can take up to 12 weeks but, fingers crossed.

I think it was a good plan to take some time off work so you can, hopefully, give your body a bit of tlc.

Please feel free to join in anywhere on any thread. Living With Arthritis is where most people hang out.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • TUL50
    TUL50 Member Posts: 19

Hi Clare,

I've just had my diagnosis confirmed today, after being shown ultrasound images of my fingers. RA sucks big time, since it snuck up on me with no warning. I think you are doing the right thing resting yourself for a month. I've just had two weeks holiday, but I like to be busy and after a one day pity party in bed, decided that was boring, so got up and got on with life.

• clare73

Hi @TUL50 thanks for the reply on my post 🙂

I’ve been really fed up the past few weeks in a lot of pain in my hands and feet I had injection last week and I’m feeling a bit better I told my bosses at work I’m not able to the job I do anymore it’s a very physical job using my hands pushing big steel bins about using my hands lot and a lot of walking about for at least 7 hours a day I love my job I suppose they will have to find something else I can do. Having time out for myself is nice but I read your comment and I feel the same don’t want to be home for weeks feeling sorry for myself , I need to get on with my life and live it the best I can

so thank you 🙂

• TUL50

Hi @clare73 how you feeling now? I hope work have been understanding and worked with you to find something else you may be able to do in the business. I've invested in a copy of "The Rebel Badge Book", which is like a badge book for adults. Its given me some interesting goals to aim for, like trying new sports such as Axe throwing or Windsurfing!!!

• clare73

Hi @TUL50

Im doing okay thank you 🤗

I had a telephone call with occupational health the other week and I’ve been told I can’t the job I use to do due to my arthritis so I told work and another job roll has come available for me which is more suitable for me and not has physical so I’m gonna try that see how I get on. I start back work on the 1st of June. I’ve been enjoying my time off work which has helped me loads with my metal health. I’ve started on my medication now which also should help

I’m trying my walking again not doing to much.

I hope you are feeling okay 🙂

• TUL50

Hiya,

Yeah, I'm doing okay - I'm on hydroxychloriquine which seems to be helping. My right hand hurts a lot, but I have to wear a compression sleeve due to lymphodema of my right arm.

I am pleased for you that work have been understanding and found you an alternative role, especially if you like the company and the folk you work with. Saves you having to look for something else.

I hope it all goes well in the new job and wishing you all the best hon. Keep us updated.

Kind regards.