Heads up if you're immunosuppressed

Options

I know we've been told, all along, that it's possible to be symptomless but still infectious with covid. This is what has just happened to two friends.

1 S was visiting her Mum 200 miles away. Mum fell and broke her hip. The hospital did a covid test on her and she had it (and so was in a covid ward for a week rather than getting a new hip immediately). S decided she'd better do a test. She had it too ,so self-isolated. Neither had the least symptom either before or after.

2. F's husband fell and broke his hip. )I know. I know but I do have some friends who don't.) Next day F wanted to visit but naturally did a covid test first. She had it. She then went on to infect her visiting daughter and son-in-law. The latter two had very bad symptoms. F had nothing. Her husband, luckily, hadn't got it.

F wondered if her lack of symptoms was because she'd only had her booster a fortnight before. If so, there might be more and more symptomless but infectious people around.

You may do whatever you like with this information. Do feel free to ignore it. Personally, having just had my 5th jab, I'm even more determined to mix very, very carefully and outdoors if possible. I'm saving myself for the visit of my US son and grandson. In three years I've only seen the latter on WhatsApp and on TV playing baseball. They are both getting boosters before coming. Fingers crossed.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
Steven Wright

Comments

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 700
    Options

Hi @stickywicket

I hope everything goes ok with their visit.

Like you I'm very careful as to how and where I mix with people and I'm still avoiding going into crowded areas. I've also just had my 5th covid vaccination. My family all take LFTs before coming to the house. My wife had covid in March and my son tested positive in April. The latest statistics from the ONS is that 1 in 50 of the UK population have covid.

• Becky88
    Becky88 Member Posts: 96
    Options

It is very interesting how people are affected in different ways. I, like you, am still being extremely careful and I am having my 5th dose today. I actually think that many people in our position are staying in and keeping themselves as far away from any risk as possible. It sometimes feels like we are the forgotten ones.

I hope that you have a lovely time when your family visit.

Best wishes.

• scotleag
    scotleag Member Posts: 84
    Options

I asked about a fifth dose (not that previous four did any good but fifth time lucky I suppose) but my GP practice said they weren't giving ANY fifth doses and there doesn't seem any way to book elsewhere online

• jamieA
    Options

Hi @scotleag

If you are in England can you not use this online system for booking the spring booster dose?

I live in Scotland and was told the spring booster programme would be managed by the local health board and my GP or rheumatology clinic would be responsible for flagging up those in need. My GP didn't want to know so I contacted my rheumatology clinic and the nurse sent an email whilst I was still on the call. I received a call back later that day from the health board vaccination group offering me a vaccination slot for that weekend.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options

Thank you @jamieA and @Becky88 for your kind wishes.

@scotleag , I'm with Jamie. Do try to chase it up. Use PALS if necessary. Good luck.

Steven Wright
  • scotleag
    scotleag Member Posts: 84
    Options

Thanks for the link @jamieA I'd seen that before which recommends six months after last vaccination. In my case that would be early August. If I haven't heard anything by July I'll try it. Just wondering what's happening with GP as that's where all my previous doses were. if they're no longer doing them then that's a forty minutes train journey then fifteen bus to nearest major hospital and same back. Almost two hours in what's very likely cramped and largely unmasked transport and knowing my blood test after four vaccines came back negative.

Risk has to be balanced against benefit and in my case benefit to date has been zero. I daren't catch Covid not just for the obvious reasons that immuno-suppressed have a greater risk of serious illness or even death but because my wife is seriously ill. We live 150 miles from the nearest family member and I need to stay as healthy as possible for my wife.

• jamieA
    edited 27. May 2022, 10:03
    Options

Hi @scotleag

The description of time gap between 4th and 5th vaccinations is a bit confusing - it says it should be 6 months then goes on to say the appointment dates can be offered from 3 months after your previous dose. That was the same on the NHS Scotland site so I just thought I'd ask at (in my case) 4 months on and they offered the vaccine for a couple of days later. It might be worth a try. Also I was vaccinated in a local vaccine hub - a council hall in fact - I didn't need to go to a hospital.

I wasn't considered a priority for the first vaccine rollout - even though I was on high dose prednisolone at the time and had had two bouts of pneumonia in the previous 3 months as well as a new diagnosis of PsA. So I decided from then on I'd push the medical system if I felt they weren't considering me.

Also I thought that if this is going to be an ongoing annual winter vaccination plan it would be better to have a 6 month gap during summer/autumn than maybe next winter not getting a vaccination till Jan/Feb if I'd waited the 6 months this time.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options

@scotleag , That's a really nasty situation with your wife being seriously ill too. I've just had my 5th, and my husband his 4th jab. Mine came 3 months after my last one: his (he is not immunosuppressed) 6 months after his last. We were both sent our appointments separately. Like @jamieA , we are in Scotland but a different part, I think. Only my first jab was at our local health centre. The others, for both of us, have been at local village halls, community centres or - the latest two - a big events centre in the middle of a field! This might just be Scotland's way of doing things but worth enquiring?

Steven Wright