Osteotomy

Options

Hi i'm due to have an osteotomy soon and I was wondering if anyone in the group has had that operation they could tell me about it please

Comments

• stacey1977
    stacey1977 Member Posts: 36
    Options

Thank you but I answered my own question because I had the operation now

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options

@stacey1977 please keep us updated. I don't recall anyone ever mentioning having this op. I hope it goes well for you.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • stacey1977
    stacey1977 Member Posts: 36
    Options

Hi

Just an update I had the operation and it went well The only trouble is the recovery no one tells you that it's a slow and steady recovery lasting up to 6 weeks

Also being a person who is used to being with people and now on my own it is a very lonely time

My independence has been taken away I can't drive do everyday things which I take for granted I have to rely on people to do

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options

Thanks for the update. I'm pleased you've had the op but a bit surprised that the hospital didn't warn you of the recovery time. I think most orthopaedic ops take a long time to recover from. If you think what's gone on it makes sense. And the inner healing which we can't see takes much longer than the outer healing which we can see. Here's the info from one NHS Trust https://www.roh.nhs.uk/patient-information/knees/1268-high-tibial-osteotomy-distal-femoral-osteotomy/file

As an 'ortho op veteran' (though no osteotómies) I'd advise rest, exercises and distraction - whatever rocks your boat for the latter. I'm a cricket and puzzle addict. I see Wimbledon is due if you're into tennis. And we're always here for company.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright