RA/Methotrexate/Immune Compromised and Sense of Smell and Taste

Hello

Has anyone else experienced reduction in smell and taste due to Covid and wondered if recovery is hindered by having RA and all that goes with it?

Many thanks

Moira

Comments

• Anna
    Anna Moderator Posts: 947

Hello @MoiraA and welcome to the online community,

I understand that you have RA and have experienced a loss of sense of smell and taste due to Covid. You're wondering if your recovery is being hindered by having RA and all that goes with it.

All our members have experienced arthritis and many have also had Covid. I can't find any discussions on the forums about recovering taste and smell, and it will be interesting to hear from other members who may have experienced this. It's true that RA, medications and Covid all have very different effects on people.

If you want to read more about arthritis and Covid, Versus Arthritis have a useful guide that's regularly updated. I've linked to it below:

Do have a look round the forum and join in any conversations where you feel comfortable.

Best wishes,

Anna (Mod)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• MoiraA
    MoiraA Member Posts: 15

Thanks Anna. It’ll be really interesting to hear from other people in the online community about this and what their experiences are. MoiraA.

• amyb
    amyb Member Posts: 1

I caught covid in December of 2020 and lost my smell. I just recently started Methotrexate and plaquenil for a new diagnosis RA and after 2 years of no smell it has finally returned.

• choppers
    choppers Member Posts: 9

I have not long started Methotrexate and caught covid a month later.

First time with covid was worse symptoms than the 2 nd on methotrexate, I had less loss of smell, taste and recovered quicker.

Someone at work had covid about 2020, still can't taste. I think it's down to how the individual reacts.

• CCM
    CCM Member Posts: 113

My sense of smell and taste deteriorated before covid appeared. I stayed clear of it until the Christmas just passed, recovering in about a month. My sense of taste is back to an extent but smell still eludes me. I have taken Methotrexate in the past but have been on Amgavita for the past two years.

CCM