Big Toe fusion

Lindahem
Lindahem Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

I'm seeking advice from those who have had their big toe fused, also add diabetes to that please, after 7 weeks I was told mine had not fused and to keep the moon boot on another 4 weeks. Folk say it's to do with healing slower as a diabetic, ???

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 739

Hello@Lindahem welcome to the online community

You have had your big toe fused which is slow to heal and you wonder if this is related to your diabetes. I expect there will be some of our members who have undergone similar operations and who can share their experience with you. One of the interesting facts that I have learned since joining this marvellous community is that we all are unique in our ways of coping with life with arthritis and with our rates of healing after any surgical procedure So linking that with your need to wear the moon boot for an extra month I can relate to your frustration and need for patience.

Yesterday I was watching the new exercise video which is to help with hamstrings and lower back mobility and I attach a link which I hope you might find useful. We are all being encouraged to exercise to keep our muscles and joints as healthy as possible so if you get the chance look at some of the other videos available through the community, they are great.

I appreciate that joining in with the June challenge is likely to be too much for you at the moment but just taking on board some of the exercises may be of benefit to you. I have also included the link to the Diabetes UK group which may offer you some answers.

Meanwhile I hope some of our members will share their experiences with you, we are here to support each other. Let us know how you get on, especially when you are boot free.

Take care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.