Swimming with arthritis

I have arthritis in my hands and cannot find any compression gloves for swimming. Does anyone know of any for swimming?

Comments

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 734

Hello @dazzla welcome to the online community

You have arthritis in your hands and are asking about compression gloves for swimming. I expect that some of our members have found gloves that they wear when swimming and will be able to share their experience with you. However the Community Guidelines do not allow us to promote any products, therefore may I suggest that you ask your local occupational therapist or hand therapist for their advice.

Good luck with your search, do let us know if you are successful.

Poppyjane ( moderator)

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• dazzla
    dazzla Member Posts: 5

Hi, can I ask the community then?

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 691

Hi @dazzla

I've been looking for the same since last month the rheumatology physio suggested I swim and use an exercise bike. I came across this website that suggests using neoprene webbed gloves to take the strain off joints in the hand.

I'm not in a rush though as the covid infection rate here is very high - estimated at 1 in 30 - so don't think I'll be going in the public pool anytime soon.

• dazzla

Thanks. I'm not really looking for webbed gloves, just compression gloves for swimming.

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 691

Hi @dazzla

My hands and wrists ache most of the time and are worse when my hands get cold so I wear normal compression gloves all day. If I do go back to swimming I'd be looking for something to keep my hands warm and compressed and this was the nearest suggestion I could find.

I don't know if you read through the article but this paragraph caught my eye.

Experienced swimmers who have thumb or finger pain may consider using webbed gloves or swim paddles. These devices can take stress off individual finger joints while also improving stroke mechanics and increasing resistance strength in the shoulder, chest, and back muscles. Webbed gloves made of neoprene can also help keep hands warm in the water.

Wetsuit or surf neoprene gloves may also be an option.

• dazzla

Thanks, I have looked at neoprene but they are too thick as they are made for cold water swimming.

• @dazzla Hi, I hope you don't mind me commenting on this post (I also know it was posted a while ago) but I wondered whether you had found any compression gloves since posting this?

• Zibbydoo
    Zibbydoo Member Posts: 7

@dazzla - I'm a cold water swimmer, not all neoprene gloves are the same thickness, I have 5mm & 3mm neoprene gloves for very cold weather and 1.5mm gloves which are a lot lighter, it might be worth trying the thinner neoprene which may be fine in the pool? Reach out to your local outdoor swimming communities, someone may be kind enough to let you try their gloves out before you buy some as they can be pricey.

I am recently diagnosed and have only done a handful of short cold water swims this winter - I'm sure I'll see in coming months how much I can still swim in the cold. So take my advice with a pinch of salt.

• Hi

thinking of taking the plunge(literally) into cold water swimming. Does it help your arthritis? Local group can loan me wetsuit but they didn’t mention gloves and my hands are bad. I thought the cold water eased the pain, so why use gloves/wetsuit .

any tips welcome

• Smith1
    Smith1 Member Posts: 6

I have compression gloves that I wear a lot, would they be ok to use in conventional swimming pool?