Let's Move Monthly Challenge - May

YvonneH
YvonneH Member Posts: 1,076
edited 5. May 2022, 13:16 in Let's Move

The Versus Arthritis Let’s Move Monthly Challenge is designed to help you incorporate movement into every day of the month. This month, fitness professional Leon Wormley, together with his Mum Janet, present the Step Challenge.

All our challenges are designed especially for those living with arthritis and joint pain.

In this short video Leon and Janet demonstrate different ways of performing the Step Challenge including indoor and outdoor options and alternatives if you don’t have a step.

This challenge helps to mobilise and strengthen the joints and muscles of the lower body as well as improve the efficiency of the heart and lungs.

Why not keep track of your progress using our activity tracker?

https://www.versusarthritis.org/media/23545/lets-move-physical-activity-tracker-april2021.pdf

Remember to listen to your body and take it at your own pace. There are lots more movement videos and resources available on the Versus Arthritis YouTube channel and website.

Comments

• wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233

Well I got outside, we have either a 12 step or a 2 step route onto our garden, the patio is the same level as the house so easy to get too. I used the 12 stem route because we have a handrail there, I'd love not to need it, but I do.

I thought timing myself would maybe be the way to go, I haven't got a step counting thing so it' much easier for me.

Easier than I thought to measure, had to stop after 4 mins, definitely heart increased and breathing too.

Result 40 steps in 4 minutes. Actually a bit depressing, I had imagined I'd do more with less effort. Had to hold the banister half way through.

It took very little time so I'm sure I could do it every day. Please join me in this xx

• @wazz42

Hello 😀

I'm up for this. I've only just joined the site and think perhaps I'm too late to track my May efforts.

We could go at it in June? What do you think?

(I don't have a step counter either) 🙂

• Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 734

Hello @movingslowly welcome to the online community

We are really pleased you found us and are " up for the steps challenge ". I have attached a couple of links which I hope you will find helpful.

You do not mention how your life is affected by arthritis, we would love to hear from you and offer you support, information and above all friendship. The online community is a safe place to share as you will find if you take a look round the discussions and activities , so do join in.

Take Care

Poppyjane

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.

• wazz42

Just popping in to give an update, it wasn't hard to do at all once I was outside. Thinking about going outside and getting there were 2 different things I found, a stepping friend might have helped remind me.

I can report that I did improve on my performance - actually quite a lot, at the end I did 50 steps in 4 minutes and then I finished at 60 steps in 5 minutes so a plus in length of time and speed of steps.

I'm hoping it will give me confidence in walking generally and in my balance as I did manage all the 60 steps without holding on, only just.

Such a little thing, such a big psychological change

xx

• wazz42

@movingslowly

How great to meet you, what a good idea, a friend will make a difference I'm sure. I'll go and look at the June challenge right now, walking I think

See you there

xx

• @wazz42

Hello 😀

I'm up for this. I've only just joined the site and think perhaps I'm too late to track my May efforts.

We could go at it in June? What do you think?

(I don't have a step counter either) 🙂

• @wazz42

morning Wazz,

look at that. June has passed us by already.

I didn't keep track of my steps this month. My job requires me to take several thousand and this has a knock on effect for my joints usually manageable/tolerated with some form of pain relief.

And then I do it all again the following day 🙂

How did you get on with your steps throughout June?