Facial nerve issues

Can I also ask if anybody else has an issue with facial nerves especially the left cheek hot with a kind of burning sensation?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Not had that @Bernardo sorry but I ahve had jaw pain before it was soooo bad I couldn't tell if it was ear teeth or jaw until one day I was cleaning my teeth and it clicked was even more painful and seized shut (almost totally) for many days. The dentist said it was TMJ - the temporomandibular joint?

Yours though sounds more like when my friend had neuralgia that was more the skin than joints.....

Maybe time to speak to a medical professional?

Sorry not much help was I

Take care

Toni x

• Bernardo
    Bernardo Member Posts: 9

Thank you ,I appreciate it and yes I have yet another GP appointment on Thursday and still awaiting my referral appointment with a consultant 🤞🤞

• frogmorton

Good luck Bernardo and let us know how you get on on Thursday🤞

Toni x

• LizB12
    LizB12 Member Posts: 38

Hi@Bernado. I sometimes have a similar sensation in my cheek but it was caused by shingles in my face last Christmas. My forehead, eyebrow and cheek were affected. Luckily it didn’t affect the optic nerve. It took months to improve. I now have been left with nerve damage in my left cheek. It comes and goes, especially when I am under stress. It is a hot and burning sensation like yours so yours might be inflammation of the nerve perhaps

• frogmorton

Hope you got on ok yesterday @Bernardo

Toni x

• Linda30
    Linda30 Member Posts: 6

Hi Bernardo. Sorry to hear about your pain. My daughter suffers from Trigeminal Neuralgia and has a 'yet to be specifically diagnosed' autoimmune condition. She has intermittent sharp electric shock pain along the jaw up to her ear on one side of her face but it can also appear as burning, stabbing pain. Carbamazapine is the drug they usually prescribe and if that stops the pain it often confirms the diagnosis. We have read lots of information, mainly from the USA Facial Pain Association and their Medical Board that Trigeminal Neuralgia can be caused by autoimmune conditions attacking the trigeminal nerve - particularly sjogrens, scleroderma, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus and mixed connective tissue disease. How did you get on with your consultant appointment - it would be worth flagging this up as it's not well known?