Haematoma following THR

I’m new to the site following encouragement by my daughter to see if I could find a suitable forum.

I had my THR at the beginning of March. I had an anterior procedure. All went pretty smoothly until I developed a haematoma, probably about 10 days after surgery. Consultant not concerned and said could last 6 months. I’m now nearly 4 months still with haematoma which has become known as Harvey! Harvey impacts all my muscle groups in my thigh and I get seriously tight/painful muscles. I feel over the last couple of weeks things aren’t progressing and some actions, which were good, are nowhere as good as they were.

Does anyone out there have experience of having had a haematoma? I’m at my wits end.

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317

Hello @Craigydon

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us. Im very pleased to hear that you daughter encouraged you to join. I hope that you will find us a friendly bunch as we are always looking to make new friends.

So after having a Total Hip Replacement at the beginning of March you developed a haematoma. You were advised that this would last for no more than 6 months. You're now 4 months in and you have found that it effects the muscles badly and that they are always tight and painful. You also feel like that in the last couple of weeks your progress has gotten worse. You're looking for other peoples experiences with a haemotoma.

I have to admit I don't personally have any experience with haemotomas. However Im sure within the vast group of members that we have there will be someone here that will be able to give their experience.

If it was me, I would go back to my GP or consultant to speak to them about your concerns, especially since you feel like your progress is now being impacted.

Ive attached a link below that I think may be useful to you and is aimed at ways in which to manage your pain. Please do have a look when you get a chance. Also included a link to our helpline details incase you would like to talk to someone one on one.

Please do let us know how you are getting on.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

I've been lucky enough to have no problems with either of my THRs. I admire your patience and your attitude towards 'Harvey' but I think the time has come to seek further medical advice, preferably from the consultant but, if necessary (timewise) from your GP. Good luck and do let us know how you get on

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Craigydon
    Craigydon Member Posts: 3

Thank you both for your comments. I went to see my previous physio, we moved a while ago but he is just great. His view was I need to go back to the consultant. I’m now arranging this.

I will report back in due course 😊