Ankle arthritis

Hi everyone!

I’m Jayne and I’m 63 years of age. I have severe osteoarthritis in my right ankle, and have had all the usual interventions including arthroscopy. None of these have been successful, and I am now left to make a decision on ankle fusion or joint replacement. I have much pain, swelling, and limited mobility. I am unable to take NSAIDS and paracetamol is relatively ineffective. Codeine phosphate is prescribed for intermittent use. My arthritis has now begun to affect my left ankle too. I’m posting to ask if any member of the forum has the same condition. If so, any advice on experiences would be welcome.

Comments

• Beth1
    Beth1 Member Posts: 5

I also have arthritis in my right ankle - it’s complicated by it being a corrected club foot which has become very tilted. I’m now on the waiting list for a triple fusion which tbh I’m pretty anxious about! Replacement isn’t a possibility so I didn’t have to make that choice. It’s a tricky one! Fusion lasts longer of course but you do lose flexibility.

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Hi @Beth1 and @Tulabelle I'm glad you have found each other.

I don't know if either you have seen this thread while you've been searching here?

@prefabkid47 often responds to his name being mentioned he had surgery a few years ago and has been very supportive of others going through similar.

Best wishes

Ellen