Advice please

Hi everyone,

among other issues I have imaging confirmed arthritis in my lower spine and big toe. I have an appointment booked to see Rhuematology and my Gp has agreed to send me for X-rays of toes on both feet as I have pain And deformity of other toes but I was wondering as I get pain and stiffness in other joints ie. Fingers thumbs and ankles is it worth asking to have these crates at the same time whilst I’m waiting to see rheumatologist? Also I have problems with my si joint for which I had mri but the pain clinic have suggested steroid injection for which they said would not only be for pain but also to help with diagnosis, I’m not clear on how this would help with diagnosis , can anyone advise?

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Morning @Tripsy

I like your name for some reason it sounds sort of upbeat and made me smile.

It sounds from your post (and looking at your introductory post) as if you have tested negative for R factor, but need to see a rheumatologist to rule out inflammatory arthritis with you having a family history. You are right a lot of inflammatory Arthritides are sero-negative so I think that's a good idea.

Mine is sero-negative and part of the rheumatologists' diagnosis came from a steroid injection (in my case a depo one in my rear!) which made me feel so much better. That's what he said anyway.

I think it will help the Rheumatologist to have as many of your X-ray results as possible prior to your appointment.

Also make sure you make clear and succinct notes about your symptoms for them - anything including strange rashes, high temperatures etc.

Good luck and do let us know how you get on

Take care

Toni xx

• Bic1982
    Bic1982 Member Posts: 31

Hi @Tripsy

I would definitely ask to have everything you have a problem with x-rayed before seeing the rheumatologist. The more information they have, the better they are to get you on the right treatment plan for you.

The notes suggestion is also a really good one. I tend to be very forgetful when I see my rheumatologist and have a tendency to focus on the most recent things to have cropped up instead of remembering something that happened a couple of months ago. Making notes of everything I want to talk about is something I try to do now, when ever I remember lol 😄

Anne

• Tripsy
    Tripsy Member Posts: 7

hi feogmorton/tony,

im glad my name made you smile😊

thankyou for checking out my posts and for your advice, I really appreciate it. So I will try to get the gp to add more areas to be xrayed to the request and will give more thought to the injection , I’m quite reluctant/scared to have that done at the moment.

yes I will make notes with me to the appointment and anything else I think might help as the hospital I’ve been referred to won’t be able to view my notes as they are not in my area . Thanks again

• Tripsy
    Tripsy Member Posts: 7

Hi bic1982/Anne,

thanks for replying. Yes I’m also very forgetful akk on must make notes, I try to keep track of symptoms but also forget to make notes 😅

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Ah Tripsy did you know about this:

technically it's for young people, but some of us 'older' people use it too. Might help if you are forgetful.

Toni x

Ps a pleasure to reply😊

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 691
    edited 11. Jul 2022, 14:13

Hi @Tripsy

I'd agree with the others that making notes in advance and having the time to write down the replies is a good idea particularly if you can't take someone with you. I never got any feedback from my first rheumatologist but the one I have now appears to document and copy me in with the findings of my consultations. I don't know what type of arthritis you have but in my case I was diagnosed with psoriatic arthritis and they did an MRI scan of my lower back and I later found out that the state of your sacroiliac joint is a pointer to psoriatic arthritis.

I think the steroid might be so you have less pain and relax more. I've had a fair number of steroid injections and normally got 4-6 weeks respite from joint pain from them. That allowed me to move more and I was less stiff when the medics were manipulating my joints.