my triumph

last year after my diagnosis with RA I was devastated. However in July I decided to go back to riding a motorbike after 18 yrs. I gradually built up my milage and 3 weeks ago rode around Scotland for 3 days with my husband. I set a target to reach Loch Lomond and I did on the 2nd day. I am so proud of myself! with minimal painkillers (it actually gives me more pain driving a car!) I am already planning a longer trip very soon.!

Comments

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Well DONE @rosie159

That's wonderful I bet your husband was so pleased too.

Happy planning!

Toni x

• Keiri
    Keiri Member Posts: 6

Awe well done rosie159. Hope you enjoyed your trip, up to Loch Lomand. Beautiful part of the country. Hopefully you can make it further up to Glencoe.

That is 1 place, to admire the beauty and makes you forget your pain.

• rosie159
    rosie159 Member Posts: 34

well 3 months on and back riding in Scotland. 520 miles in 3 days...made it past Glencoe and up to Fort William....so beautiful!

In order to ride my bike I had to splint both thumbs and take a lot of painkillers...but it was worth it! I also hasten to add I have been home 2 days and my back and hips are still sore but getting there.

I will keep riding while I can because I love it. I always loved my motorbikes and when I am riding I destress and forget all my worries for a while.

Still proud of myself for doing 3000 miles in a year..

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,336

Wow @rosie159

That's fabulous I am so pleased for you.

Sounds as though the happy memories are out weighing and pain you might be feeling.

WELL DONE!

Toni x

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 385

I am planning to do the same thing but on a bicycle (just kidding). More seriously I would be too stiff in the morning to ride anything and a bit more at risk of falling off my normal bicycle than I would like, so I didn't go ahead, but I am glad to hear that someone has.

• crinkly
    crinkly Member Posts: 144

Thought I'd restart this thread, now that there are signs of calmer weather and longer daylight hours, with a celebration of the electric bike.

After many years' enjoyment on pedal bikes, exploring former railways trails, even that become a challenge to my OH's ability to surmount his cross-bar and my widespread OA's progression. (We are aged 80 & 77.) I had two potentially nasty crash-landings, adult stabilisers didn't work for me and I was afraid to try again.

Researching possible options for maintaining outdoor exercise we eventually decided to invest what would otherwise be our 'holiday funds' in electric bikes, which we purchased before Christmas 2022. I was still uncertain but a couple of wary trial rides had us hooked and we are now out cycling on every possible day.

For me it's truly life-affirming as I am otherwise virtually housebound by spinal stenosis (am in the queue to see a spinal surgeon). Cycling puts me in the forward-leaning posture that relieves pressure and thus pain on the affected spinal joints, is minimally weight-bearing and the battery assistance lets me dictate the amount of stress on arthritic knees. Importantly I need never go so slowly up rising ground that I'm at risk of wobbling off onto my replaced shoulder, which happened on my last pedal bike rides. I have little neck movement so a strategically placed mirror ensures that I am aware of others approaching from behind and am not a hazard.

Yes, there are drawbacks - the initial cost of electric bikes (ours are a basic model and were bought at Black Friday Sale price.). Knowing exactly what size bike is right for you and being able to reach the controls easily is essential. Finding the best means of transporting the bikes and ensuring adequate help with loading and unloading from a car is another big requirement. (We found a towbar-mounted carrier onto which the bikes can literally be wheeled along a loading channel/mini-ramp without any lifting but this was not cheap.)

We did all the necessary research and are happy to spend our holidays this year in basic UK self-catering venues - preferably within reach of cycleways! For me especially there is the joy of continued outdoor exploration when I can no longer ride a horse or walk our lovely dog other than from a powerchair. By selective use of the electric bike's power I can exercise at whatever level is enjoyable at the time without hours of increased pain to follow and the sense of independence regained is worth a great deal. All far better than I ever imagined.

These factors keep one significant door open for now so I will never regret exchanging my much-loved purple velocipede for a chunky blue beauty with a key!

• Bernardo
    Bernardo Member Posts: 9

Well done and very courageous of anyone to ride on two wheels with any Arthritis condition. I have MSK pains in my Shoulders( Bursitis), a slipped Disc in my Neck and arthritis in my fingers ,yet I am determined to get back on my Motorbike .

• rosie159
    rosie159 Member Posts: 34

well guys finally motorbike season again...yippee...been our twice already..just up.the Antrim coast...now will have to wait for the snow to come and go lol.

trip planned in may to see my rellus and trip planned to scotland in Aug...getting up to Skye this time and hopefully with more of us doing it! can't wait....my mental health needs ot so much...I only ride and enjoy the air and scenery on my bike....no other thoughts...great!

Each winter is harder than the last an im only 58...I have new thick bike gloves for all yr round and at present fleecy leggings under my bike trousers...every little helps.

Still no strong painkillers I can take so paracetamol every 2hrs which is all they last me...luckily we stop and stretch every couple of hrs.....pee break, **** break , stretch arthritic fingers break, stretch knackerd hips and back break lol.

Still can't beat riding though....I get less pain from riding my bike than driving a car!

Nearly goodbye winter and hello spring!