Naproxen

I have psoriatic arthritis and recently changed doctors they are saying I can't have my usual prescription of naproxen as its too toxic to take with methotrexate I'm puzzled as my old doctors has prescribed both for over a year anyone rise been told this?

Comments

• scotleag
    scotleag Member Posts: 84

NHS guidance as of January this year here

It only says to tell your doctor. It looks like different GPs have different interpretations. I hate naproxen as it plays havoc with my stomach but I've been taking it on and off for over twenty years, though only when absolutely necessary. I've been on methotrexate for five years. I find that by and large the methotrexate negates the need for naproxen.

• Kerry82
    Kerry82 Member Posts: 7

Thank you Scotleag they still trying to get my methotrexate dose right so still in a lot of pain most of the time and relied on the naproxen I don't know what else to take co codamol does nothing and my doctor can't see me for 3 weeks to discuss alternative pain medication.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Hi @Kerry82

I heard it can make the MTX more powerful therefore potentially dangerous or something like that.

It's a shame they haven't given you and alternative though😕

I hope you do have an apt booked at least

Toni x

• Klootster
    Klootster Member Posts: 19

I'm taking curcumin tablets (from Holland & Barrett). I feel these have made a vast improvement to my pains and stiffness, after only 2 weeks

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Check with your pharmacist. Both naproxen and turmeric can interact with other meds and with each other. https://www.medicinenet.com/which_medications_not_to_take_with_turmeric/article.htm

There are other methods of pain relief besides NSAIDS such as naproxen and co-codamol.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 691

Hi @Kerry82

When I was first diagnosed with PsA I was put on sulfasalazine and naproxen and then a few weeks later omeprazole was added - I think to protect my intestines from the effects of naproxen. Three months later MTX was added and the naproxen was changed to etodolac. I think the medics said that etodolac was better in reducing pain levels - they didn't say anything about naproxen interacting with MTX. I've since read a couple of medical articles that state that both naproxen and etodolac can increase the MTX side effects though this refers to 'high doses' of MTX without quantifying it.

• Kerry82
    Kerry82 Member Posts: 7

They have now prescribed tramadol which really helps with the pain but makes me so drowsy can't win lol