Hello from Northern Ireland away in the country 😄👋

Daisy33
Daisy33 Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi everyone

First of all thank you for this site...I'm a newbie here and I'm at my breaking point. I'm 57, feel like 90...iv arithitis in my ankles, wrists and knees. I'm waiting on knee replacement over 4 yrs now but don't really want to go through with it as my consultant told me it will make my Fibro worse along with ME. Yesterday I got results of x-ray on right knee to say I had advanced arithitis in it, offered steroid injection until I'm put on waiting list for in knee replacement on it. Yesterday I had breakdown couldn't see away forward, constant pain and fatigue. Iv researched so much that I'm seeing double. I finally got in touch with arithitis helpline and was given information for here and online exercise. I go on Monday to get set up for two crutches to use. Physio says the best exercise I can do is swimming so first thing this morning I went, never went on my own before and did 20 mins. I was exhausted when got home, meds and straight to bed but I did it. Trying to make this a routine. I need to lose weight badly too, but not being mobile is a big hinderence to do that. I'm now looking into Tumeric to see if it will help.

Sorry for the long winded introduction and I hope I haven't bored you too much.

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 669

Hi @Daisy33  

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum. 

You have arthritis in multiple joints, you’ve been waiting for knee replacement surgery for ages, you have ME, goodness, you really are going through it. By the sound of it you’ve been in contact with our helpline who pointed you in the direction of the forum as well as suggesting some exercise routines. 

Please don’t apologise for going into detail about your situation, the more detail you share the more relevant will be the feedback you get from forum members. 

Here are a couple of links that you may find useful:

I hope that joining the forum provides you with the support to help you through the situation you find yourself in. 

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332
    edited 30. Jul 2022, 05:33

Well Hello @Daisy33

What a tough time you are having! Seriously I am so glad you rang the helpline. I did too twice in the early days of my 'Arthritis journey' and bawled my eyes out😳

You are so welcome here we all understand and will support you while you brave your knee operation (if you go ahead) as well as sharing any tips we might have.

I am sure you don't want to use walking aids - none of us do, but it (along with the exercises) will be one of the best things you can do for yourself in my own opinion. I have walking aids too and use them when I need to - you do feel a bit odd at first, but you (and others) soon get used to it.

Weight gain is a common problem here we have in the past had people lose quite a bit of weight (even people who are wheelchair users) almost doing a 'blog' a weekly weigh in and we cheerleader each other on. If you felt brave enough. They didn't say starting weight just how much they lost each week.

Anyway nice to have met you I hope you'll decide to stay😊

take care

Toni xx

• Daisy33
    Daisy33 Member Posts: 5

Thank you Toni for a lovely welcome, sorry for delay in getting back but just hit a downer again, just when I feel I'm making a small headway. Would love to hear more abt the weightless blog, can you point me in right direction x

• janiebin
    janiebin Member Posts: 53

Sorry you hit a downer , life is never a straight line is it?!

I saw a post in My Triumphs from @Kezzacare about weight loss , maybe you can help each other......

Best of luck