Osteoarthritis

john62
john62 Member Posts: 41
edited 19. Jul 2022, 13:08 in Living with arthritis

Hello, I have just joined this group after suffering hip and knee joint pain for years and now diagnosed with what they tell me is mild osteoarthritis. Hopefully I can get some ideas how to manage pain both day and night.

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 791
    edited 1. Jul 2022, 15:28

Hi @johnuwood

Welcome to the online communty,Its great you have found us.

You say you have been suffering from hip and knee pain for years but just been diagnosed with mild Osteoarthritis,and you would like some ideas on how to cope with pain day and night. You have come to the right place for information ,so here are a few links that may help.

Hope the links help in some way.Please go onto our forums everyone is friendly and understand what you are going through as we all have various forms of Arthritis.i myself have had Osteoarthritis for years and understand the pain you are suffering.

Please let us know how you get on and please keep in touch.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• john62
    john62 Member Posts: 41

Thank you Christine.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Hi @johnuwood

Nice to meet you.

I do know what you mean about pain especially at night.

I read this article a while back it has some good tips

Keep posting we are a friendly group here and will always try to help each other.

toni x

• Bluenose3
    Bluenose3 Member Posts: 4

I’m a newcomer think I’m experiencing my first OA flare, advice please

• Baloo
    Baloo Member Posts: 385

Excuse the pun @Bluenose3 but my first ever flare was blue murder. I was eventually paralysed by it for 4 days in hospital. If your flare is as bad as I just described see your doctor immediately for early treatment and referral.

• William50
    William50 Member Posts: 6

I have not been on here for a while either.

I have OA of the knee (left), my GP put me on Solpadol 30mg/500mg for pain,

Fenbid 10% gel for pain

Aspirin (one every morning dissolved in water),

Ramipril (2 tablets daily),

Calchichew (2 tablets daily) and now I am on

Pregabalin (One capsule twice a day) for pain not sure if this one works for me as during the night I can feel it flaring up and have to put more gel on the side of the leg, not sure if I am supposed to do that, why I am taking pregabalin is the result of GP sending me for an Xray and it turns out that the OA is getting worse due to my age of 72, so he gave me an alternative to see either the Physiotherapist or Orthopaedics or wait for it an operation done private, by passing our NHS , so I went for the Orthopaedics not sure what they will help me with but it is always another option - and there will be waiting list, so I will have to just carry on taking the tablets, but I will speak to the GP re the pregabalin tablets, as I write I have just put on gel and the pain is slightly there.

• Sunnyside_12
    Sunnyside_12 Member Posts: 27

Hi I have Osteoarthritis in both hips and left side is bone on bone, other side has got worse, had XRAY last year, but I know it has gotten worse, I live alone and have two small dogs, I use to walk dogs everywhere, I have a dog Walker now I pay. It is so frustrating and I feel it really bad in bed at night, mornings are terrible, I build up to do my physio exercises, I feel like have been forgotten about, because last year physiotherapist forgot to refer me, year later I am now referred and have hospital appointment end of this September, I'm glad but feeling Anxious about it, because know its bones on bones both sides of hip joints.

Ruth

• Sunnyside_12
    Sunnyside_12 Member Posts: 27

My doctors put me on Pregabalin in the pandemic, because it was over the phone and I haven't had XRay then, I thought it was Sciatica, because I suffered from it before, after I did have a Xray it showed osteoarthritis in both hips. my new doctors weaned me off them pregabalin slowly .

I wish you all the best Ruth