Big toe osteoarthritis - should I just live with pain every day?

Hi, this is my first post and I'm grateful for the detailed guidance on the website.

I'm 28 and recently diagnosed with minor osteoarthritis on my big toe. Although I'm relieved to have a diagnosis, I do feel pretty down, considering my age and the fact that I really enjoy walking. My GP told me that the NHS 'won't do anything' for minor osteoarthritis. He recommended getting shoe inserts from Shuropody (these aren't cheap!) and taking painkillers. He also recommended an exercise to keep flexibility in the joint. I cannot self-refer to orthotics or physiotherapy in my NHS trust area.

I was doing all of these things anyway and every day I have moderate pain in the joint when I'm moving around. When I'm sitting still I can forget about it, but I'll start walking around and will feel pain. I drove a car for the first time in a while recently and it was affecting my clutch foot.

I know my condition is minor compared to many others but it's quite depressing to think about going from being fit and healthy to having pain every day when moving around, even just walking.

Are there any other things I can try for pain? Do you come to just live with daily pain and it stops feeling so bad - or could exercise eventually reduce or stop the pain entirely?

Thanks very much.

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 669

Hi @barratt15

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum.

You have OA in your big toe which causes pain and is understandably getting you down given you are only 28. You’ve been advised to take pain killers and have been recommended a toe related exercise. You’re interested in any advice that forum members can give you as regards pain management.

You mention that you’ve read the advice on our website and I don’t want to duplicate, but just in case here are a couple of links you may find useful (apologies if you’ve already seen):

There are many discussions about big toe arthritis in the forum, it may be worth your while using the forum search bar and browsing. Here’s an example:

I hope you receive some useful tips from forum members.

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

I think we do get used to pain and, to some extent, ignoring it. Distraction is a great tool.

But you are young and only one toe affected so I'd be trying to keep things as good as possible. You seem to be doing much that is right but I would try the Shuropody place. Never heard of them but I've been in surgical shoes for years. To my mind, if they're good it's worth trying to afford it Maybe the same for a good, musculoskeletal physio. Definitely get advice on shoes though and don't do either stilettos or floppy ones. The pharmacist could probably advise you on anti-inflammatory gel which might help.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright