First post: is there a link between arthritis and Vitamin B12 deficiency?

AMQ
AMQ Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Does anyone else here get regular B12 injections? Asking because I’ve found my arthritis improves after a shot, and gets worse as I approach the point where I need another one (about 12 weeks later). It might just be something that affects me but am curious to know if anyone else has a B12 deficiency? Thanks for taking a look.

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Hello @AMQ Welcome to the online Community.

Your post is very interesting the issue of B12 and Arthritis does come up form time to time.

This is an 'old' read-only thread but worth a read:

and this is Versus Arthritis' information about B vitamins:

I will be watching this thread with interest.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• AMQ

Hello Ellen

Thank you for your comments and extra information. I’ve been getting B12 shots for a good many years, well before I was diagnosed with osteoarthritis, but just recently my regular injection was delayed by 2 weeks as the nurse who administers it had Covid. During those two weeks I was terribly tired, as I expected to be, but also had a very bad arthritis flare up, which was extremely painful. After I finally got the injection I began to rally, again as expected, and my arthritis pain disappeared almost immediately.

As a researcher, I know that feeling better generally may have impacted on the arthritis, but I had never considered before if there might be a connection between B12 levels and pain from arthritis. I’m hoping others might be able to share any similar experiences they might have had.

Best wishes

Anne-Marie

• Bettyboo22
    Bettyboo22 Member Posts: 22

Hi @AMQ

I have been having B12 injection for over 20 years and do struggle for a few weeks prior to my appointment with fatigue, it's such a struggle to do anything... So I do empathise.

It might be worth discussing this with the nurse or doctor as they maybe review and bring your dose forward.

Best wishes

Bettyboo x

• AMQ

Thank you for your reply. I do think you’re right, because I lived in France for three years and the routine was to buy the injection ampules in the pharmacy (they are very cheap) and then to book the community nurse to come to your home to administer the injection. There was no requirement to wait 12 weeks and I often had shots after 8 or 10 weeks. I have a lovely nurse where I live now (Northern Ireland) and I know she would oblige if I asked her to bring forward the next injection (that is, if she’s allowed to!).