Has anyone had IOFIX joint fusion.

Options
Tallgirl99
Tallgirl99 Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi I am new to this site.

I have oestoarthris in my big toe joint.

Awaiting surgery using IOFIX as joint fusion, has anyone had this done?

What was operation like, recovery afterwards? Grateful for any advice, tips, etc as I know nobody who has had this done.

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hi @Tallgirl99

Lovely to meet you and welcome you to the Versus Arthritis online Community.

I understand from your post that you ae going to have big toe fusion surgery using OIFIX.

This is new to me and a search on our site doesn't enlighten me more I found no posts referring to Oifix however there is a thread which might be of interest from earlier this year:

I hope this helps a little some of those posters are still around @stickywicket and @airwave for instance.

Do let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

Ellen.

• Tallgirl99
    Options

Hi Ellen, It is IOFIX you have it spelled wrong comes from America, do another search. 😁 Thanks for other information.

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hi @Tallgirl99

Oops! Iofix😳

Luckily I spelled it right during my searches was just a typo in my reply to you apologies! Unfortunately I couldn't find anything from the NHS or Versus Arthritis.

Let's see what our members come up with🤞

Best wishes

Ellen.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

I've not keard of the IOFIX so I had a google. Probably it's new as this was an extremely small survey but it seems to be as good as other methods.https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/29409198/

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Tallgirl99
    Options

Hi thank you for the information. It was helpful.

• airwave
    airwave Member Posts: 579
    Options

I have replied to the private message so most of the info is there. The other replacement I had was a ceramic one which goes in place of the joint, mine was loose after a year when the osteoporosis caused the bone not to grow around and bind it to my Skeleton, it was removed and because the bone had been shortened to fit the ceramic joint I didn’t have enough to do anything with.

If it had been successful then it would have changed my life but you don’t always get what you wish for in life? Never mind eh!