Is there anyone like me?

Supermand
Supermand Member Posts: 15
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

I've had joint problems for over 40 years. Not always called arthritis, but now finally all called osteo. So far I've got 12 affected joints and have had 2 replaced and am on a waiting list to have my 3rd replacement my left hip. Actually I wonder what the most replacement joints one person has had, maybe I could try for an entry in the Guinness Book Of Records!

I used to belong to 'Poppy Versus Arthritis' but I unsubscribed as I never saw anything appropriate to me.

I've registered here to see if there is anyone like me.

Comments

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 668

Hi @Supermand  

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum. 

You have osteoarthritis in numerous joints, have had a couple of joints replaced and are due to a hip replacement.  

You mention that you’ve joined the forum to ascertain if there are others who have been on a journey like your own. Well, you’ve definitely come to the right place, I’m sure there are many members who can relate to your situation. 

In case you haven’t visited our website, here’s a link that you may find useful:

Also, there are many existing discussions within the forum about hip replacements which you may wish to join in on. Here’s a recent example:

On Living with arthritis we have posts from many members who live with arthritis, I'm sure you will be able to find some existing discussions you may wish to join in on or, if not, start a new one.

I hope that you find joining the forum beneficial and do let us know if you make it into the Guinness Book of Records 😊

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Morning @Supermand

Nice to meet you welcome to the forum from me too😊

I haven't heard of Poppy Versus Arthritis.

Over the years I have met many people here with multiple joint replacements and some whose joints have also 'fused' on their own too.

I suppose we are all 'like you' in the sense that we all have arthritis so we all understand each other and understand pain.

We are a nice group of people very friendly happy to share our tips and support each other. It sounds as though you have loads of experience too.

Do come along in and join us!

Toni x

• Supermand

Hi Toni

Nice to hear from you. I hope the fact that your message was timed at just after 6 am doesn't mean your arthritis was playing you up so you slept badly! I can't remember where I heard of Poppy versus Arthritis but in my opinion it's for people newly diagnosed so arthritis hasn't had a chance to take much of a hold and do too much damage yet. Which is why I felt it wasn't for me, I'm rather past the 'Happy, Clappy Club'. I don't know if you saw the post I put up yesterday of a poem I wrote years ago. I find writing poetry extremely cathartic and at least it takes my mind off things for a while.

😀

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Hi @Supermand

Aha Yes I get it for people newly diagnosed. I shan't bother looking for Poppy Arthritis then.

Why was I up at 6am? yawn same here today sadly. My youngest is still at home due to her health (recovered from leukaemia and has Avascular necrosis - hip surgery and a shoulder replacement and epilepsy mostly due to chemo) although not for much longer is on early shifts and isn't allowed to drive.

So this old lady has to get up at 3.45am😴

Not for much longer she has found a flat and a reprieve is imminent.

To be fair this morning the Arthritis isn't too bad, but last night🙄 thought I'd never sleep!

Hope yours is ok today? We do have a few poets who post @Kitty is one and @bosh also writes poetry to help her works things through. there was another person a week or so back. I appreciate poetry so will take a look at yours....

Thanks

Toni x

• Moon
    Moon Member Posts: 28

Hi supermand

You've got a way to go to beat my late mum. She had her left hip replaced 7 times! Unfortunately this was mainly due to her own oddly shaped hip sockets. However she never complained and was always so grateful for every procedure. She had the same surgeon every time and he used to call her a living legend

Hope your next op goes well

• Supermand

I'm going for the record number of different joints being replaced. My left hip will be my 3rd but I've yet to find out what the record is I've got to beat.

• Supermand

Your mum must have been an amazing lady to have had the same joint replaced 7 times. I would have loved to have met her.

• Supermand

I'd like to know what others do to keep themselves sane while sitting around groaning.

As I said before one of the things I do is write poetry and I also put up one of my old favourites but I'll put it here again in case you're interested and missed it, also I'll put up my latest scribble which is actually a rewrite of ABBA's song MONEY! MONEY! MONEY!

Hope you enjoy it!

ARTHRITIS IS A PAIN IN THE ARMS.

Knackered ankle, wrist and knee

Is there anything right with me?

NSAIDs, steroids and other pills

There must be something to cure my ills.

Replacement elbow that’s become bionic

When my pain was diagnosed as chronic.

Orthos, rheumatics and physiotherapist

There’s no joint department that I’ve missed.

X-rays, scans and MRI

Every type of view they try.

Blood tests and injections, there is no doubt

If they weren’t putting something in they were taking something out.

Panics, worries and all sorts of alarms

ARTHRITIS IS A PAIN IN THE ARMS.

MY KNEE MY KNEE MY KNEE

I groan all night, I groan all day the pain I have won’t go away

Ain’t it sad?

And still there never seems to be a single minute’s respite for me

That’s too bad.

In my dreams they make it stop

By giving me a decisive op

I’d never have to limp again; never more would I be in pain.

My knee, my knee, my knee

It’s not funny

In an arthritics world

Never sunny

In an arthritics world

OW OW-W-W

All the things I could do

If I didn’t have arthritis

What a wretched life!

A day pain free is hard to find but I can’t get it off my mind

Ain’t it sad?

And if they developed a cure, it wouldn’t be for me I’m sure

That’s too bad

Maybe I’ll win the Lottery

Then I’ll get a replacement knee

No longer will I be so lame; my life will never be the same.

It’s not funny

In an arthritics world

Never sunny

In an arthritics world

OW OW-W-W

All the things I could do

If I didn’t have arthritis

What a wretched life!