Osteoarthritis in both hips

Sunnyside_12
Sunnyside_12 Member Posts: 27
edited 15. Aug 2022, 14:43 in Chat to our Helpline Team

Hi I have been suffering from osteoarthritis for up to three years and I am extremely upset my physio last year didn't refer me, I only found out last week, after seeing new doctors, I have now been referred, waiting for phone call from hospital, I cannot move around without difficulty, I have a stroller for help to get about my place, with it in both my hips its terrible trying to sleep, I was put on pregabalin for nerve pain, but wrong tablets, so weaning off those. I take Naproxen and Codeine and Paracetamol for the pain. I'm very nervous about operation, because I got Pneumonia from having Hysterectomy. I just want to be pain free.

Ruth x

Comments

• Hi Sunnyside_12

Thank you for your posting on the forum. I am so sorry to hear about the upset you have had and that you are in so much pain. I understand that it is upsetting when you are waiting for a referral and then find out it has not happened. I am pleased that you have now been referred. It is understandable that you are nervous about having an operation when you have had a previous bad experience. I am unsure if the operation you are referring to is a hip replacement.

It may be helpful to you when you have your appointment at the hospital to take a list of questions and concerns that you want to explore prior to any surgery.

Pain can make it difficult to get on with your everyday activities and there are other things that may help to manage the pain, often using several techniques at once can help. These are painkillers and non-steroidal anti-inflammatory creams and gels, steroid injections, heat/ice therapy, exercise, complementary and alternative treatments. You may find certain movements are particularly painful so you avoid them altogether. But it’s important to remain as active as possible as lack of use can lead to loss of strength and coordination. 

Below are links to our information on sleep which may provide some methods that may help improve your sleep. Also,I have put a link in for information about osteoarthritis of the hip which includes ways of managing this condition. I hope that this is helpful to you.  

Osteoarthritis of the Hip

Sleep

Best Wishes

Dawn

Helpline Advisor

• Sunnyside_12

Thank you for your response Dawn, I have a physio who sees me once a week now and I have exercises to do each day. I think with getting depressed over my situation doesn't help, but I am now trying to get stronger.

Ruth

• Sunnyside_12

• Hi Sunnyside_12,

We are so pleased to hear that you have managed to get help with physio and exercises as they are such an important part of managing your condition as it helps with the pain and the stiffness.

I am so sorry that the condition is making you feel depressed though, but this is understandable and does affect many people in this way. Is there anything that you could do to distract you from feeling like this, either a hobby that you enjoy that you could take your mind off the pain, or going for a walk, sitting in the garden or meeting a friend for a coffee. I know that there will be days that you will probably not feel like doing any of these which is fine but perhaps another day, alternatively it may help to talk to someone about how you are feeling with a referral through your doctor.

I hope you feel better soon.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor

• Sunnyside_12

Thank you Chris

I am going to see my daughter, she's on holiday at moment, but lives nearby. Most days are very painful, because it's in both my hips, but I'm trying to do more.

Ruth x

• Hi @Sunnyside_12

Good to hear you are going to visit your daughter when she's back from holiday. Spending time with family and friends can definitely help to lift people's mood.

You may want to have a look at some of the other discussion pages in the online community where you can chat to other members who may be in a similar situation to yourself. Living with arthritis is a good place to start, our members are very friendly, and will definitely be able to offer some support or advice.

Take care

Helen, Admin

• Sunnyside_12

Thank you Helen

I'm also looking at Tai Chi but haven't seen any classes nearby, not sure how I would be, because my osteoarthritis has bone on bone

Ruth

• Hi Sunnyside_12,

Thank you for your message on the forum about looking into doing Tai Chi, this is very often suggested for a form of exercise for arthritis, unfortunately upon looking in our information on Osteoarthritis (OA) of the hips Tai Chi isn’t listed, so to be on the safe side I would speak to either a Physiotherapist or an Occupational therapist just to check if this is safe for your condition.

Alternatively, your physiotherapist may recommend exercise in a hydrotherapy pool. It can help get muscles and joints working better and, because the water is warmer than in a normal swimming pool, it can be very soothing and relaxing.

I have attached a link below with further information.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor

• MaureenB
    MaureenB Member Posts: 29

Hi Sunnyside

sorry to hear you are in such pain. I have just had my second hip replacement but with my first I went two years after being diagnosed with severe arthritis to the hip replacement and when it was done , it had got to bone on bone. However I kept going to the gym and I found that cycling on a stationary bike did not hurt at all, I could use some of the seated weight machines and do aquafit. There is evidence that even stretching helps with muscle building. So just to say there may be a pain free exercise out there for you. I also recommend pilates as you can do a lot of it on the floor or in bed and it does not have to be weight bearing.

• Sheelee
    Sheelee Member Posts: 153

Hi Sunnyside,

I swim, and do seated Yoga to keep as fit as possible. I do also do exercises the physios taught me, and have a pedometer to encourage me to walk. I don't push myself if I'm having a particularly bad day.

Being in the pool, Sunnyside, is great, because I find I can move pain free. There may be a bit of stiffness for the 1st couple of lengths, but then it's OK. I swim on my back because I find swimming on my front is painful as you are pushing upwards. On your back you are not weight-bearing in any way. I do like breast stroke on my back. And it's a great break from the pain, and sense of achievement if you have a target number of lengths.

I know it's hard, but I feel quite down when I don't exercise, thinking "is this it? Is this my life from now on" which isn't helpful as it's known a negative mind space makes the pain more difficult to cope with.

I hope you manage to develop a happier life Sunnyside, despite the illness. If you no longer work, have you heard of the u3a? They do all sorts of things face to face, as well as on line. I hate feeling I'm going to seed!!

Sheelee xx

• Hi both. How did you get to your classes? What about getting changed for swimming? I find it very difficult to wear clothes that have to go on over my feet, knickers or trousers, so I would think a swimming costume might present difficulties both getting it on and off.

I would fall over if I tried to walk without the roller. Left hip is totally worn down, leg more than an inch shorter than the other. The right is on its way out as well. Op abandoned due to stress on heart.

• Hi @Jennifer55

Thanks for your post to the Helpline. I'm sorry to hear that your mobility is so affected, putting on clothes is challenging & surgery is not an option for you.

If you've not tried using a local exercise classes in water, you may want to find out how accessible the facilities are and if there is any support over the cost (this often can be connected to being in receipt of pension or benefits).

You can find our more about exercise and our online videos here:

Exercising with arthritis | Top tips, specific exercises (versusarthritis.org)

If you'd like more help with your arthritis you may be able to ask your GP about a referral to a pain clinic.

If you'd like a chat, do ring us on our freephone 0800 5200 520

All the best

Guy - Helpline Team