Osteoarthritis pain in both feet

Hi

Can anyone please offer advice about managing osteoarthritis pain in both feet.

I am newly diagnosed and it is making me so miserable especially as I care for my elderly disabled parents and work part time as a support worker.

I am really grateful for any advice or tips to get through the day!

Thank you

Jacquie

Comments

• Hi,

I have Osteoarthritis in both my ankles and front foot. If i could give any advice i would say is if normal over the counter meds are not working try contacting your GP and they can give you a stronger NSAID. I have bone spurs with my OA and unfortunately the medication i was given (tried multiple) never did anything as is bone rather than inflammation of the foot. Yes they swell up and is good for that but really pain wise i have noticed their isn't really much medication out there for managing. I do however swear on ice baths! Before i had to give up work i was a senior carer working 13hr shifts 5 days a week and ice baths for your feet work an absolute treat! I now have to have what i call "knock out drugs" that make you high as a kite to take away the pain. Also prioritise resting as much as you can when you can and elevate your feet.

Hope this helps or clarify anything!

• DinahD
    DinahD Member Posts: 5

I have arthritis in my foot, mainly my ankle. I wear support socks and I find them really helpful especially when I'm walking. I also use Voltarol cream which seems to help the pain.

• Louisa77
    Louisa77 Administrator Posts: 243

Welcome to the community @DinahD

Great to see you getting involved by offering advice to others - maybe you'd like to say Hello and introduce yourself in this area Say Hello — Versus Arthritis

Hope to see you more

Louisa

Need more help? Call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Joolz65
    Joolz65 Member Posts: 2

I have bilateral O/A in both feet and ankles. I also have subchondral bone cysts,and multiple ligament and tendon injuries. My ankles are hypermobile too,I lost my job as a nurse iof 37 years walking for 13 hr shifts on concrete floors. I now have neuropathic pain up to my knees.

My pain is very difficult to manage and I am never pain free. I would say to anyone,look after yourself before others as If you don't it will only get worse. Pain in itself is so debilitating and brings with it so much psychological issues,fear,anxiety,failure and low mood.. Consult your doctor and I'd no pain relief works ask for a referral to Chronic Pain Control team. Good luck and be strong

• chrisb
    chrisb Moderator Posts: 669

Hi @Joolz65  

Welcome to the versus arthritis forum. 

I see that you have already posted into a current chat with some useful advice to offer which is great.

You suffer with OA in your feet and ankles, have developed cysts plus other associated injuries. You are finding it challenging to manage your pain which is always there. 

You may well have already visited our website but just in case you haven’t this link may be useful: 

I hope you find joining the forum beneficial. 

Best Wishes

ChrisB (Moderator)

Need more help - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm