Groin ache issue

Norglebe
Norglebe Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi I have just joined the community and would be interested in any advice on how to prevent or reduce groin ache in a morning. I have osteoarthritis in both hips which I manage with exercise and naproxen. I am however getting woken up every day after about 5 hours sleep by a dull ache in my groin area. I am sure this is being caused by the hip issue and wondered if anyone else had a similar issue and how the manage it. Any suggested exercise would be welcomed.

Comments

• PeterJ
    PeterJ Administrator Posts: 877

Hello @Norglebe and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that you will find that as well.

I understand that you have osteoarthritis in your hips and are getting woken up with a dull ache in your groin and I have heard of this before in association with OA in your hips. Have you had a look at our website? It contains a lot of useful information about arthritis, treatments and hints and tips. To help I've put a couple of links in below which may be of interest.

Please do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their thoughts and experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Groin pain is a classic area for hip OA to be felt.

You don't say which, if any, medications you're on but I'd suggest you try to spread them out so that you have some available to take when you wake in the night. Your GP or local pharmacist would be able to advise.

Also, maybe try experimenting with sleeping positions. It might actually be more comfortable to sleep on the bad hip. Or, maybe, on your back.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Oh yes how many times have people reported groin pain😕

Have you tried a pillow between your legs?

Also some medications are available in slow release form which might just get you through the night.

I take it you are not ready for surgery yet so maybe a chat with your GP about meds will help. Some people have steroid injections into the joint which can also help a lot of you're lucky.

Take care @Norglebe

Toni x