Hello

Options
Melanie
Melanie Member Posts: 1
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

I would like to hear from any RA patient who has or is trying l-argenine.

Also experiences of Methotrexate...is it really the gold standard treatment?

Looking forward to talking to someone soon.😑

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,628
    Options

Hello @Melanie

Welcome to the online Community.

I am presuming from your post that you have Rheumatoid arthritis and are considering starting treatment with Methotrexate.

Here is some information about Methotrexate (MTX) some of which you may have already been given by your Rheumatologist. It is worth looking at as it contains links to other relevant information:

Many of our members take Methotrexate and have found it a huge help with their Arthritis. Hopefully some of them will come along in and share their own experience with you.

As for L-Arginine I believe it is an amino acid and can be purchased for health food shops. Versus Arthritis has no information on it as a dietary supplement to help with Arthritis. This is our information about diet and supplements:

What we do normally advise though is that you take advice from your medical team before taking any supplements as they may interact negatively with prescribed medication.

Now that you've introduced yourself you might want to look around the site and join in existing threads or start another of your own. Living with Arthritis tends to be the most popular category. You can also do a search using the search. (top of the page on the right a magnifying glass icon.) .

Best wishes

Ellen.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Hi @Melanie

Loads of us on here take Methotrexate yes. I didn't know it was called the Gold Standard. I've learnt something new .

Seriously though it really has helped an awful lot of us on here and in most cases is enough to hold back the disease. If you are thinking about trying it I would say go ahead you will be looked after and monitored closely.

I hadn't heard of l-arginine until just but have googled it and it doesn't look over expensive unlike some things people try, if you can afford it and it's ok with the meds you're on???

I hope you'll decide to hang around and keep posting.

Take care

Toni x