Jaw problem

Options
322 Member Posts: 7
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi all,

I experienced a sudden pain on the jaw joint some days ago and I can't eat and chew properly the last days. I am wondering if this is related to rheumatoid arthritis. The pharmacist advised to take ibouprofen but I can't see any improvement...

Thank you!

Tagged:

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 992
    Options

Hi @322 have a look through the following

Hopefully might help

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,710
    Options

Jaw pain can be caused by several things not just arthritis. Maybe ring your rheumatology helpline for advice. How have your recent blood tests been? Are inflammatory levels raised? Your dentist might be able to help either.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
    Options

Thank you so much @stickywicket! It's been a year since my last blood tests so I am not sure if the inflammatory levels are raised. I have an appointment with my rheumatologist in October so I will have to wait a bit..

I tried to see my GP but I was told to get advice from the pharmacist first. Hopefully will try to get a referral to see a dentist...

• stickywicket
    Options

You have done what you were asked to do and seen the pharmacist. Maybe it's time to go back to your GP. It sounds as if seeing a dentist might be a long wait if you need a referral.

I'm wondering which DMARDS you're on if you only had a blood test a year ago. I've been on methotrexate for years now so only need my bloods doing every three months. But, a year? That's a long time. Maybe your GP could arrange one. I have mine at the GP surgery, admittedly under instructions from my rheumatologist.

Steven Wright
    Options

I totally agree with you. I will try again to book an appointment with my GP. Fingers crossed 🤞

I am taking hydroxychloroquine. The GP has referred me to a rheumatologist at the hospital. As far as I remember, the blood test and eye check has to be done yearly, but I will check again with the doctor.

• stickywicket
    Options

Hydroxy is only a mild DMARD so may well not require regular blood tests. I've always taken it with methotrexate which does. If you can ring your rheumatology helpline that might be the way to go. Otherwise, the GP. Good luck and let's know how you get on.

Steven Wright
    Options

Thank you so much @stickywicket 😊