Ben - my Labrador

People say that pets sometimes take on the traits and mannerisms of their owners. Well Ben was diagnosed with arthritis in his front left elbow joint two months ago at the age of six. What's even stranger is that he's just been put on what is effectively a canine biologic - a monoclonal antibody called Bedinvetmab. Hopefully it will have the same effect as Adalimumab has had for me. By the way - according to my son who is a chemical biologist - the naming of our drugs does have some logic. If the name ends in mab that means it's a monoclonal antibody.

This is an image from when he was younger - he's a lot greyer now.

Comments

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

What a gorgeous dog! I am sorry to hear he has joined the rest of us with Arthritis.

Is it Osteoarthritis he has I wonder? I very much hope you will report some good news for him soon😊

Ellen.

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Oh @jamieA I love him! What a sweet face he has I'm sure just as sweet now even if he has some grey.

I do hope his new medication helps him ((())) for Ben🐶

Toni x

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 691

Well unfortunately it's really bad news. His shoulder on the same leg started to swell two weeks ago and he was diagnosed with osteosarcoma on Monday past. It developed extremely rapidly and by Friday he was in so much pain the vet had to euthanize him.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

I'm so sorry. Pets can leave huge holes in our lives But Ben clearly had a good life and was much loved by an owner/owners who didn't flinch from putting his needs before their own pain at losing him. You will have some lovely memories @jamieA . Deservedly so.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • jamieA

Well a bit of good news. My wife and I had been talking about whether we'd get another dog. I've been finding it difficult to motivate myself to walk my target of 10k steps a day without a buddy. We'd started looking at dog websites and came across this little guy. He was the last of a litter of 9 and is still quite small and underweight but he makes up for that with his personality. It will be the best part of a year before he'll be able to walk long distances but already he's won the hearts of us all. This is Finn.

• JenHB
    JenHB Member Posts: 131

Finn looks so cute!

• stickywicket

No wonder he's won your hearts already. And how lovely that the runt of the litter has found a good home. My younger son bought a Border Collie runt about 18 months ago. She was a real timorous beastie when they got her and it has been a delight to watch her growing in confidence and learning obedience. My 'pack leader' son says no-one else greets him with such unbridled joy and enthusiasm!

His elder brother has an 'English lab' which I think is the US /California equivalent of Finn. A beautiful, friendly, kind dog. With, like Finn, wonderfully big paws.

I wish you many happy walks together.

Steven Wright
  • jamieA

Hi @stickywicket

I weighed Finn on Monday as he is undersized and underweight - he weighed 3.4kgs. By yesterday he was 4.0kgs so he's coming on. He's got a great personality - happy to greet everyone like they are the one and only in his life. In the UK labs are split into 2 categories - show labs and working labs. Show labs are the bigger, heavier chested variety whereas the working lab is a leaner, lighter dog. I think the description working and American lab is effectively the same dog.

• stickywicket

I think Finn is a lucky dog. My son's only problem with his is that he's only to look up from his work desk and Cray rushes to fetch him a toy convinced he wants to play. ("You don't want the ball? OK, how about a bone? The rope?)

Steven Wright