Finally diagnosed at 47 with stage 4 ...struggling to adapt!

Katieboo
Katieboo Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hi all ... I'm 47 and finally been diagnosed with stage 4 arthritis in my left knee ... no diagnosis yet for the right one but it's not far behind.

Unfortunately it's hereditary for me so I knew it was coming 😞

There's my partner, our 8 year old daughter and me. They are so supportive but feel like I'm letting them down.

I've gone massively downhill over the past 6-9 months ... I've had aches pains and weakness for years but recently it's constant pain, affecting my movement, sleep, work and general life.

I've had 1 cortisone injection which made it worse, I'm sure she hit a nerve. Have a 2nd one, guided in November and just hoping it helps.

Was told the scrape/clean wouldn't work for me as I have it in my knee cap and the bottom of my knee ... so just have to wait till I'm 60 for knee replacement.

I have a phone consultation with pain management on Monday but not sure what else they can do as already take so many painkillers.

I guess I'm here to just chat with other people who are going through the same and and share ways on how we can support each other.

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 983

hello @Katieboo and welcome to the community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that you will find that as well.

I understand that you have arthritis in your left knee and have a phone consultation coming up for pain management. I also understand that you have joined to chat and for mutual support. Welcome. Our website contains a lot of useful information and I would recommend having a look around it as it contains information on arthritis, treatments and Hints and Tips. To help I've put a couple of links in below which may be of use.

and

Please do keep posting and let us know how you are getting on and I am sure that others will connect with you to share their thoughts and experiences as well.

With very best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Katieboo
    Katieboo Member Posts: 2

Thank you for the welcome .....

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

For me, the way to go with both my RA and OA is exercises. Gentle Range of movement ones when flaring and maybe with the lowest of weights when not. Regularly, though. I find though pain relief is sometimes essential, the body just gets used to it and demands more so I use it as little as possible.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Hi there,

I absolutely feel your pain and understand how you are feeling. i am 52 and have stage 3/4 OA in my left knee, also this is hereditary too on my Dads side....ive my first consultation in a months time, ive already been told by my gp that i need a partial knee replacement, ive had xrays, mri scan (as initially it was thought to be a tear as the pain was first noticed during exercise). Ive had 3 injections, physio and now take neproxen which now doesnt work, although initially it did! The main issue for me is walking, my leg will no longer straighten making me limp, ive a baker cyst at the back of my knee and pain in my calf and foot with every step. I work 10 hour shift in the nhs and its getting impossible to do this...

I really hope the injection works for you, cant imagine how it feels in both knees although my right one will be next im sure of it. has your gp discussed replacements with you? Isnt everyday a struggle, im only ok if im either sat down or asleep and even this still gives pain some days especially if ive been on my feet all day. Its good to chat on here, you are definately not alone.

Liane