Voluntary redundancy

Options

Hi, I have psoriatic arthritis mainly in my hands and toes and was diagnosed about 5 years ago.i take methotrexate weekly.i work full time doing a physical job which involves lifting alot of hot metal, using a grinder and generally putting alot of demand on my hands.i have found doing my job very difficult recently as my index finger and both thumbs are extremely painful and swollen .anyway to try and get to the point my company are making redundancys and I feel like I'd be wise to get out with some money in my pocket before I am pushed out unable to do my job which feels imminent if I'm honest.does anyone have any advice?I'm 48 married with 4 kids youngest only 4.i still want to work but I'm really torn I know arthritis isn't going to get better I have been told I probably need finger joint replacement and my left hand is already weak from an injury many years ago! Do I take the money and get out on my terms or will I regret it and not have the money to provide for my kids?I have been on endless websites but am still lost and anxiety thru the roof any advice would be great thanx.

Comments

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 709
    Options

Hi @225

I'm really sorry to hear of your predicament. I can't offer an answer as your circumstances are different to mine at the time I was made redundant. I was 61 with grown up kids when my company decided to offshore my job - I was offered voluntary redundancy or relocate to Pune, India. I had bad back problems at the time but not the PsA I now have. I took the VR but only after having spent a considerable amount of time working out the pros and cons of it. I talked to trusted friends and family as well as a financial consultant that my company offered an hour with. I tried to just soak up any advice or guidance given. From that I created a detailed series of options and the likely personal and financial hurdles/benefits of each option.

My manager at the time had suggested I apply for redundancy on medical grounds due to my back as that would have helped with both company pension being paid immediately and dealing with HM government departments. It turned out too complicated in my company in the short timescale of notice but would that be an option for you?

I hope you get something sorted that benefits you.

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,713
    Options

What a tough call! And stress makes everything worse.

I've no expertise at all here. My personal view, for what it's worth, is that arthritis gets worse not better. Plus, I don't think replacement joints can be assumed to do everything that natural ones can. I'd be inclined to take the money, if it's a reasonable package but, hopefully, you could talk to someone first about employment opportunities elsewhere. I don't know if this would help https://www.gov.uk/looking-for-work-if-disabled Or, maybe, CAB? Good luk.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Poppyjane
    Poppyjane Moderator Posts: 754
    Options

Hi @225

Do you think it would be helpful to talk it all through with someone on the Helpline

Although they will not be available until Monday since it is the last Friday of the month and they close for training today,

We are here to support you whilst you strive to secure the best option available for yourself and your family.

Keep in touch

Poppyjane (Moderator)

If it would be helpful to talk to someone ring the Helpline 0800 5200 520

Monday - Friday 9.00a.m. - 6.00p.m.