Hello

Caroline1s
Caroline1s Member Posts: 3
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

I am new. I have just been diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritus and I am terrified of using methotextrate. Can I just take hydroxychloriquine and will it be enough or should I definitely take both?😊

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317

Hello @Caroline1s

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us.

So you have just been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis. You have been prescribed Methotrexate and Hydroxychloroquine. You are terrified of taking the methotrexate and are wondering if you have to take both or can just take the Hydroxychloroquine.

I completely understand how scary and difficult it is to come to terms with such big news and I can understand your feelings about methotrexate. Have you discussed you fears with your consultant? It can be scary to start any medication but definitely one with such possible side effects, however the side effects aren't guaranteed. I took methotrexate for 10 years and didn't suffer with any side effects really, not any that I wouldn't have experiences with any other medication. We all have different experiences though so I think it would definitely help you to hear what some of the other members have to say about how it effects them.

I must state though that we do not recommend stopping or starting any new medication without discussing it with your doctors first.

Ive included some information below on the 2 different medications you have been prescribes as well as some information at RA for you.

Please do let us know how you are getting on and please do continue to get involved in the community. We are a friendly bunch and are always looking to make new friends.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

You should definitely do as advised by your rheumatologist. He/she will have made the meds decision based on how aggressive your disease is.

I've been on meth and hydroxy for over 20 years. What a difference they have made! Hydroxy is quite a mild DMARD but is often used alongside meth. Just be very conscientious about your blood tests. They will pick up on any potential difficulties before they become actual ones.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Thank you for very reassuring advice! I have a hospital appointment next month about the methotrexate and so I will speak to them about my worries. It really helps to hear that they have made such a positive difference to your arthritis!