Introduction and queries

Mcv
Mcv Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

Hello! I have got arthritis in both knees and advanced arthritis in my left elbow, hands and wrists. I’ve had two wrist joint replacements- the latest one, an Aptis Scheker, was done 3 years ago and is amazing! I’ve never met anyone else who’s had a wrist replacement- has anyone on here?

I’ve had 2 steroid injections in my right thumb and am now scheduled for a trapeziectomy on December 12th. This seems to be a much more common and straightforward surgery but I’m wondering how vulnerable my thumb will be for the first 6 weeks or so and what about after that. I know I can’t drive or do anything major but how much will I have to protect it from bumps and life in general?

Comments

• anneb82
    anneb82 Member Posts: 317

Hello @Mcv

Welcome to the online community and thank you for joining us. I hope that you will find this a safe and friendly space to share more about your journey.

So you have arthritis in both knees and advanced arthritis in your left elbow, hands and wrists. You have had 2 wrist joint replacements. You have found great success in these and wonder if anyone else on here as had the same experience. You are schedules to have a trapeziectomy in your right thumb this December and you are wondering how vulnerable your thumb will be after surgery. You are looking for other peoples experiences when it comes to life after this operation.

I personally wasn't aware of the operations you have mentioned so it has been quite interesting for me to read about them. I'm so glad that the wrist operation 3 years ago has made such a difference to your health. It sounds like this up coming operation is more frequent so I am hoping that you will get lot's of replies from the other members.

In my research into your new operation I was able to find this factsheet from when we were Arthritis Care - if you just click on the link it should take you straight there.

Ive also include information on managing your pain below which is always handy to have a read of.

I hope these are are both of help to you and that other members comment with their own experiences on your post for you.

Please do let us know how you are getting on and how you get on with your operation.

Take care

Anne (Moderator)

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

That's an excellent link above. We seemed to have a cluster of trapeziectomy patients about a year ago. I think several seemed to think it was a minor op which wouldn't require much aftercare. They were wrong! Give it all due care and attention afterwards and I'm sure all will be well.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright