Any info please

Options

It is 6 years since I had my hip replacement. It has been brilliant. Just lastely I have started to feel "niggles" in the area of my new hip. I was told they last for about 15 years. Perhaps its a silly question but what happens when it wears out and does it collapse altogether suddenly or is it a gradually wearing out? These things cross my mind. I am 73 now by the way. Have others experienced any of this?

Comments

• helpline_team
    Options

Hi Lindamay,

Thank you for posting on our helpline forum about questions regarding your hip replacement. We are so pleased that the operation went well, and the hip replacement has been brilliant.

We are sorry to hear that you are experiencing a few niggles, and no these are not silly questions. You are correct a hip replacement should last around 15 years before revision surgery is required.

Some people can experience complications so it is important that you speak to your doctor about any concerns that you may have, and they may then want to refer you back to the surgeon who carried out the operation.

Because we are not medically trained at Versus arthritis unfortunately, we cannot say what is causing you to suddenly question what is happening to your hip but sometimes the hip replacement can loosen but when this happens it can cause pain and most common after 10-15 years although it could happen earlier. It’s usually linked to thinning of the bone around the implant. So, if you can contact your Healthcare Practitioner and explain what you are experiencing, they will be able to help you further.

Best wishes

Chris

Helpline Advisor