Pain management

My pain is not under control and maxing out on my pain killers zoromorph 1tab twice a day, shortec 1-2 tabs 3 times aday paracetamol 2 four times aday. Keep on mentioning it to my gp when i see here every month but dows nothing even mentioned to her about not hearing anything from the pain clinic asked if she could escalate it not sure if she has or not getting no sleep and its begining to affect my asthma. Even threatend to chop my legs off it's that bad but still nothing.

Even the covid jab which ive had a bad reaction to and also had one last both times its been pfizer vaccine had no problems with first 2 when it was oxford so im seriously think notbhaving it ever again.i even doubled up on my antihistamines i probably been alot worse if i didnt. So that hasn't helped either. I'm at the end of my tether can't cope any more even going for a walk it hard work. Got to the point that i need a wheelchair and just give up

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 983

Hi @Peawhips seems like you have a lot of things going on and leading to a lot of pain and feeling low. Hopefully you will get a referral to the pain clinic soon. I can understand this is getting you down. Have a look through the following

and keep chatting on here as we all understand some of what you are feeling. Hope it picks up for you soon, Peter

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

That sounds awful @Peawhips 😕

You are having a really bad time. I wonder whether one of the receptionists would check whether the GP did escalate your pain clinic referral for you.

You really are taking a lot of meds including oxycodone you'd think they would want some help to help you so perhaps it has been done. That would at least give you some hope wouldn't it?

Have you ever rung the helpline here? seriously I have when things have been bad and i just found them so supportive it might be worth doing.

BTW my covid jab, the last one, was moderna. Might be ok for you I hope.

Take care

Toni xx

•  

Hi @Peawhips

Thank you for posting on the Online Community. I am so sorry to hear about the challenging time you are going through both physically and emotionally. I have read the responses from @noddingtonpete and @frogmorton and would agree with their suggestions. Do check with the receptionist at the surgery regarding your pain clinic referral and the escalation of that.

If you are having issues with your surgery, you could contact your local PALS organisation who could advise you further.

I’m not sure if you have Osteoarthritis of your hip or knee or both, if you do you could look at the Escape pain programme, which may be helpful to you. I have given you the link along with a couple of other links which I hope will also be useful for you.

If you would like to have more replies to your post, please repost on our 'living with arthritis' forum.

Best wishes

Lynda

Helpline Advisor

• I have arthritis in my shoulder which stops me from raising my right arm which is very restrictive as I am right handed. I am on Co-codamol which 4 a day or more puts me in a zombie state. I was told paracetamol would help but only eases the pain so not really efficient.

I do sympathise with people who are worse than me & hope the petition is taken notice of

Maureen

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

Hi there,

I hope, by now, you'll have managed to talk to your GP or receptionist about having your Pain Clinic appointment expedited. If you don't yet have one then do talk to your GP, or at least your pharmacist about all the meds you are on.

You mention asthma. Strong pain meds can depress our breathing and so make asthma worse. Perhaps find some deep brearhing exercìses while you wait for advice.

Also, if you have asthma, I think it would not be advisable to skip your covid booster. My first three Pfiizers all raised my BP to quite scary levels but I still had another last week as I know it's in my best interests. So far, so good.

It can be difdicult to sort out appointments when we feel unwell but, given that the meds might be a part of the problem, it's still best to get things sorted. Good luck.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • Hi @Kingfish4280 (Maureen),

Thank you for posting on the Helpline forum earlier this afternoon. I am sorry to hear about the pain and restricted movement in your shoulder. It may be helpful to ask your GP to refer you to a physiotherapist or the musculoskeletal (MSK) service for treatment and advice about exercise. NSAID gels and Capsaicin cream may help with the pain and reduce the number of painkilling tablets needed.

I hope the information given below will be of some help and I am glad you have signed our Versus Arthritis campaign petition to the Prime Minister to not ignore the needs of people with arthritis. 

If you would like to have more replies to your post, please repost on our 'living with arthritis' forum.

Best wishes,

Fiona, Helpline Advisor