Pain in same fingers each hand

I read that rheumatoid arthritis can effect the same joints symmetrically. I was wondering about fingers. Does it mean that different fingers may be effected in each hand or the same ones? I have trigger finger in my left ring finger and similar feeling in my right. Also both my index fingers hurt between the knuckle and mid finger joint. I’ve had X-ray and my go said there was no increase in synovial fluid and only one marker was slightly raised in my bloods but corresponded with an increase in platelet count from full blood test ( I had just had COVID. GP says it’s “just” osteo. Should I push more? Thanks x

Comments

• Hi@Forgotten

Thanks for your post to the Helpline. I'm sorry to hear about the Osteoarthritis (OA) affecting your fingers. I wonder if you might like to have a chat with us at the Helpline. I don't know if there's something in the background which is a particular concern - such as a strong family history of inflammatory types of arthritis.

If you are concerned about the function of your fingers and hands, you might ask about a referral to a Hand Clinic.

The advantage of seeing the Physiotherapists or Occupational Therapists at a Hand Clinic is if there is anything untypical of the medical they can perform further investigations. They will make sure you are doing plenty gentle hand exercises and be able to monitor your progress.

I can't help with the question about symmetry - but if there were a concern that there is inflammation untypical of OA (and bloods were negative) an ultrasound scan might be helpful - but the people at the Hand Clinic would be able to discuss that.

Osteoarthritis of the hand and wrist (versusarthritis.org)

Arthritis | Causes, symptoms, treatment | Versus Arthritis

All the best

Guy

• frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

Hi @Forgotten

I read your post and Guy's reply and think it's excellent great advice there to try to get a referral to a hand clinic.

Have you posted much on the main forum (I'm thinking Living with Arthritis) because people over there might have some tips to help you too.

Take care and nice to meet you

Toni x