Worst flare up so far

Options

Hi all,

hope you’re keeping well.

I’m 1 1/2 months into my RA journey (post diagnosis) and am having the worst flare up so far. Pain in my joints and lower body muscles are waking me up in the night and I feel rough and exhausted. I’ve taken painkillers, got a pain patch and a support on my elbow and am wearing my compression gloves.

Today is my partner’s birthday, I have so much to do and I really want to spoil him and make sure he has a great day. We live together and he’s very supportive and understanding about my RA.

Any advice on how to manage today, without impeding too much on his day?

Many thanks in advance,

Loz

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options

Well, I guess by now you'll have worked out what to do and done it.

Just as a heads up for the future - don't start last minute. Start days or even weeks before and pace yourself carefully. Arthritis will always bite back so try to ensure it doesn't happen on the day. We have to adapt frequently but, with care and some concessions, we can have a great life wirh arthritis.

I hope your day went well.

By the way, you mention several pàinkillers. Are you on DMARDS yet?

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • lozzashep1509
    Options

@stickywicket Thanks for your comment!

He had a great time - albeit he’s now worried about me. My flare has gotten worse.

I’m 4 weeks into my DMARDs, I also take prescribed cocodamol when needed to supplement. I went to the GP today and have been given some antibiotics and steroids to help.

I’m slowly learning that I’m going to need to slow down ten fold, especially if I’m going to have ‘big’ days.

Hope you’re doing well! :)

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,712
    Options

Thanks. I'm all too used to it☺ We learn as we go but, if you've got à good partner, that's great. I'm glad he had a good day. Well done, you.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,417
    Options

Hi @lozzashep1509

Nice to meet you. I' so glad you have a supportive partner I am also blessed with one who is understanding the vast majority of the time. It's great you were able to spoil him.

Stickywicket is so right to advise you to plan well ahead for 'big days' so that you minimise the chance of things going wrong.

Now I hope you will have a little rest for yourself and hope the steroids will ease things a bit while your DMARDs kick in.

Take care

Toni x

• lozzashep1509
    Options

@frogmorton

Thank you Toni! I’m glad you have a supportive partner too. Being blessed with them is definitely a true way to put it.

Thank you for the restful wishes - they are much appreciated 😊