Lymph nodes swell up

Hi I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis about 6 months a go I am yet to start methotrexate I have active disease in my knees and wrists, I got a viral infection about 2 months ago and my lyphm nodes in my neck on one side and under my jaw swelled up they haven't gone down and I'm worried that other lymph nodes have swelled up to, I've been to the gp twice but they were quite dismissive and couldn't really tell me why they are still swollen. I just wondered If anybody else struggled with swollen lymph nodes as well as rheumatoid arthritis? As from what I've read lymph nodes can swell as a reaction to RA.

Tagged:

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

I can't say this has ever been a problem for me with my RA but I think your rheumatologist should know before you start the methotrexate. It's probably just lingering from the infection but, as the whole point of methotrexate is to dampen down our overactive immune systems, it's probàbly best to ensure you're clear of any infection before starting it. Good luck and I hope it works as well for you as it always has done for me.

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • frogmorton
    frogmorton Member Posts: 29,332

I agree with Stickywicket you must tell your Rheumatologist you need to be well before starting a medication like Methotrexate.

I hope it's not too long before you start your medication and wish you luck too🤞

Toni

• Tina0420
    Tina0420 Member Posts: 10

My lymph nodes have been swollen since September 2019. My doctors say it's reactivated epstein-barr virus..aka mononucleosis. The right lymph nodes under chin is always the biggest. There might be a handful of days that I haven't feet any lymph nodes. But I was told it could just be inflammation so, I don't really know what's going on either.