Exercise with hip bursitis?

Megrose489
Megrose489 Member Posts: 776
edited 14. Jan 2023, 11:26 in Chat to our Helpline Team

I've begun the new year by making a resolution to become more active in 2023. I'm 76 and have osteoarthritis in knees, hands, feet, shoulders and spine and I also have fibromyalgia. So I planned to alternate gentle yoga with cardio exercises from Move it or Lose it. However, the hip bursitis I've suffered from for years has flared up - along with shoulder pain - and now I'm wondering where to go from here. I want to continue being more active, but don't want to exacerbate the bursitis further. Are there exercises/yoga positions I should avoid? I'd be grateful for your advice.

Comments

• Hi @Megrose489

Thank you for your posting on the forum. It is positive that you have decided to become more active in 2023. I am sorry to hear that your hip bursitis  and shoulder pain has flared up and you asked if there are any exercises / yoga positions to avoid.

It’s important to start off gently with any new exercise and build up our activity levels over time. If you find you have significantly more or severe pain while you’re exercising or after you’ve exercised, you should stop and talk to a healthcare professional about it.

It is best to seek the advice of a physiotherapist who can provide guidance on specific exercises for your condition and can advise you on how to reduce any friction that could be making your bursitis worse. You should be able to get a referral to a physiotherapist through your GP surgery. I have put some links below to our information on exercise, shoulder pain and hip bursitis that I hope will be helpful to you.

Bursitis

Shoulder Pain

Exercise

Best Wishes

Dawn

Helpline Advisor