Hello, newly diagnoised with arthritis in lower back

Options
LindaHeath
LindaHeath Member Posts: 2
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:09 in Living with arthritis

I am so thankful to have found this place. I have no one to ask for advice, as I know no one with arthritis. I am in constant pain, taking over-the-counter meds to ease the pain. I worry about taking these meds daily and their long-term effect on my body. So some days, I do not take anything and endure the pain. I then take the meds at night to get to sleep.

I have started an exercise program my doctor gave me, but I see no relief.

Any ideas or helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Linda

Comments

• Chris_R
    Chris_R Moderator Posts: 794
    edited 20. Jan 2023, 15:06
    Options

Hi @LindaHeath

Welcome to the online community,so glad you have found us.

You write that you have just been diagnosed with arthritis of the lower back and are in constant pain taking off the shelf madication for relief,and doing a set of exercises your GP has given you that has had no effect at this time.

Here are a few links that may help

Hope these links help you in some way ,do go onto our forums and chat to others a friendly and open space where you can just be yourself evryone has some form of arthritis so understand where you are coming from.

Take care and please keep in touch and tell us how you get on.

All the best Christine

Need more help? - call our Helpline on 0800 5200 520 Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Platt
    Platt Member Posts: 17
    Options

Hi Linda, i was taking over the counter ibuprofen every couple of hours at night to try and sleep. Now on prescription painkillers but the sleeps still not great! I find the gel helps but is that because my head thinks its soothing the painful area?! I think it takes time to find the right meds to fit - just a shame the whole process can take so long. Hope you are able to find the right meds that help soon, keep moving as much as u can in the meantime. We may not want to hear it - but it does stop us from completely seizing up! Xx

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522
    Options

H1, @LindaHeath and welcome to the community.

Three words as a guide, patience, perseverance and distraction.

Be patient in waiting any improvement once you start a new treatment; perseverance - don't flag in your efforts and distraction - find an activity you can do to take your mind off your pain.

Keep posting to let us know how you get on.

CCM

• Jackietip
    Jackietip Member Posts: 2
    Options

Hi Linda I’m new on here too iv been suffering now for 12 years I have osteoarthritis in my neck shoulders lower spine feet and both hands I have been trying for 12 years to find something to stop the osteoarthritis from getting worse but unfortunately with all the efforts of my doctors and hospital appointments there is nothing that they can do for me only surgery but I’m only 56 and do I really want to go through that at my age I would love nothing better than to find a alternative medicine for the pain I’m in every day but turmeric did not work for me I’m really hoping that one day the government will look into doing a lot more research on arthritis and alternative medicines to help people like us have a better pain free way of living

jackie

• Tom
    Tom Member Posts: 522
    Options

Welcome to the forum, @Jackietip . I see that you have OA in the neck, shoulder, lower spine, feet and both hands.

You are looking for alternative therapies but, at only 56 you wiish to avoid this if at all possible.

Here are some links to information on our website.:

I hope you find these helpful and also find other information from reading the forum posts. Please post with your experiences as this is a topic that is likely to raise a lot of interest.

Tom, Moderator.