Adalimumab and methotrexate

Rubina89
Rubina89 Member Posts: 4
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:07 in Living with arthritis

I was diagnosed with RA 5 years ago and fro last December I had flare ups badly on my knees and wrists. From May this year I started on Adalimumab and gradually added methotrexate as I was still having flare ups. Beginning I was having side effects . My knees and wrists are still painful as I have wear and tear as well which is affecting my mobility. Is anybody experiencing the same as this is affecting my life

Comments

• ToneBlues
    ToneBlues Member Posts: 94

Hello @Rubina89

Welcome to our online community and thank you telling us about your experience with rheumatoid arthritis.

I see that you have have had RA for 5 years and that you are taking Adalimumab and methotrexate, but are still experiencing significant pain in your knees and wrists.

Firstly - have you had an opportunity to talk to your rheumatologist about your continuing symptoms, also are you taking pain relief and an anti-inflammatory - if not your GP should be able to help with this? Your pharmacist will also be able to advise about what support you can get to ease your symptoms.

I have had rheumatoid arthritis for 16 years and it is my experience that it can take a fair bit of to-ing and fro-ing with drugs and other treatment to get pain down to an acceptable level - and of course we will continue to experience good days and bad days.

In particular the section on 'Managing a flare-up' may be helpful.

Also the following is specifically about how to deal with pain -

Finally, don't forget to look after yourself! This page offers some time-tested advice about how to deal with the difficult feelings that having RA can bring in its wake.

Thank you for asking our community to help with you - please feel free to join in other discussions on the community and ask others for help.

Very best wishes

@ToneBlues (Moderator)

• Rubina89
    Rubina89 Member Posts: 4

Hello @ToneBlues thank for your reply. GP did prescribed me co-codamol for pain relief but doesn’t help much. I’ve been taking that for long term and I was having stomach problems with it. I was prescribed lanzoprazol. I have as appointment with my rheumatologist next week hopefully he will be able to suggest what is the next step. With my mobility I have to stop working and it’s not easy

• wazz42
    wazz42 Member Posts: 233

Hi @Rubina89

I always take a list with me when I see any medical person. If you can put it in order that's good, and remember to note down pain levels and stuff accurately. It's really easy for me to minimise pain and stuff to 'I'm fine' or 'it's OK' but this is your consultant and s/he needs the truth. The last thing I do is take someone with me because I might forget the important bit of our consultation. They are also good to remind you/help you get started with your questions. I go in with my list showing and then the consultant can plan his time well.

Hope you have a great appointment. Let us know how you get on

xx

• Ellen
    Ellen Moderator Posts: 1,591

Hi @Rubina89

This reply is from @Anfield and posted on your wall in error:

I have been prescribed methotrexate and it does help with my pain but I am concerned about what negative affect the tablets will have on my body.

@Anfield

Do read this article about Methotrexate it has lots of very useful information about the medication. Most importantly you will be monitored regularly to ensure that you are tolerating the medication.

Best wishes and welcome to the Online Community!

Ellen

• dean68
    dean68 Member Posts: 27

i’ve been taking methotrexate tramadol, naproxen omeprazole folic acid for 2 n half years now for seropositve rheumatoid arthritis.. it started ok-ish but now the pain is busting through again and my wrists are kinda getting deformed.! ive not heard of Adalimumab what is it .? thank you.

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 983

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• dean68
    dean68 Member Posts: 27

thanks

• Jeanie
    Jeanie Member Posts: 2

I am on methotrexate and have been for about five years. My consultant is going to adalimumab but I'm worried about the risks of illness as the loss of immunity.

Please is anyone able to give me their views on this

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 983

Hello @Jeanie and welcome to the Community. We are a friendly and supportive group and I hope that will be your experience as well.

I understand that you have been taking methotrexate for your rheumatoid arthritis an now about to take adalimumab but worried about risk of illness. Have you had a look through the links in the posts above? This gives you some information, and I am sure that others on here will share their experiences as well.

Please keep posting and let us know how you get on.

With best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm