A little stroll

christine1953
christine1953 Member Posts: 5
edited 28. Nov 2023, 14:10 in Living with arthritis

Have Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis so try to do a little excercise each day. I have bought myself some EarPods (down with the kids eh☺️) and downloaded some podcasts from BBC sounds to my iPhone (yesterday it was gardeners question time) today Michael Moseley ‘Just one thing’ really good. And wow! Made my little walk so much more enjoyable- buds in, secured by my fluffy hat and phone on in my pocket. Thoroughly recommended- have your best day x

Comments

• stickywicket
    stickywicket Member Posts: 27,697

That sounds very good. I employ a similar technique for exercises - lie on the bed , switch the radio on and see what comes up. Often things I'd never have thought to listen to. Before his THRs, when golf became too much, Mr SW bought himself an exercise bike and used podcasts to help him through that. Whatever helps, eh?

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you.
    Steven Wright
  • TLee
    TLee Member Posts: 88

I find that an enjoyable walk, no matter how long or short, can really improve my outlook. There is a spot just down my road, a small undeveloped area with a stand of trees and a little creek. I walk there most days and spend a few minutes standing and taking it in. My dog, who is my walking companion, now automatically sits when we get to the spot and waits for me to finish my brief meditation.

• Lisbeth
    Lisbeth Member Posts: 46

@TLee I too have a special place to retreat to, especially when my mind is in need of quiet time. The views are spectacular, it’s quiet and peaceful. The place is less than half a mile from the mountain, it’s a farm where my horses are kept, I can literally walk for miles without seeing anyone but the panoramic views are unbelievable. And of course the greeting from the horses will always put my mind to rest. You can’t beat fresh air, it’s a feel good factor that’s priceless. Keep enjoying your lovely strolls and quality time with your lovely walking companion, it sounds like you are soaking up the pleasure. Stay safe and take care.

• jamieA
    jamieA Member Posts: 691

Like @TLee I find that walking my dog is probably the best therapy I can get. When my last dog died unexpectedly last summer I had a couple of months when I didn't walk nearly as much as usual as I found it difficult to motivate myself. I've now got a pup who is old enough for longer walks and I'm walking him locally and a few days a week pop him into the car and go somewhere different to give us both a change of scenery. They are also great conversation starters as people will come and greet the dog before they greet the owner!

Funnily enough the topic of motivation to keep mobile came up at this week's Nuffield Joint Pain class and all I could offer as a suggestion was 'get a dog'. I know it's not feasible for many people but they are a great walking companion - and they don't answer back!

It would be great if someone could come up with a borrow a dog scheme to get people moving - a bit like the therapy dogs schemes used in care homes, hospitals and universities.