The Ups and Downs of Living with Chronic Pain

Sheelee
Sheelee Member Posts: 153
edited 20. Feb 2023, 11:42 in Living with arthritis

Hi Everyone,

Hope you're all as pain free as possible.

I think I know the answer to this. I'm probably after a few virtual hugs. I'm away from home having come to Birmingham for the British Indoor Athletics Championships. I love a good Athletics Meeting. Probably because I'm away from my home comforts, I'm having a bit of a flare up. The pain isn't good at the moment.

For the first time in ages, I have the chance to have a soak in a bath. I also get the treat of eating out and not cooking. But all of it has been marred by the level of pain I'm enduring at the moment. I don't want to give up on my normal life (particularly the bits I love). I know I will have to do this post op. (I'm having a hup replacement 15.3.23), but suddenly feel quite down at the level of struggle to enjoy those treats in life.

I know that being away from home will not be helping, and living with chronic pain includes emotional up and downs, but I just wanted to say all of this to people who I know will understand.

For anyone who reads this, thank you for your time.

Sheelee

Comments

• noddingtonpete
    noddingtonpete Moderator Posts: 983

Hi @Sheelee I hope the pain subsides enough that you can enjoy the athletics, sending you virtual hugs. How long have you been there? It may just be the journey that is aggravating things and will settle down a bit. I do hope so.

Best wishes

Peter (moderator)

Need more help? - call our Helpline on0800 5200 520Monday to Friday 9am to 6pm

• Trish9556
    Trish9556 Member Posts: 488

Hi @Sheelee

I think sometimes we look forward to doing something "normal" and doing things we enjoy doing so much that when we get there we subconsciously do too much.

Please don't beat yourself up, we've all done this and can associate where you're coming from.

Please try to enjoy the trip away, enjoy that nice long bubbly bath later to ease that pain and maybe have an earlier night then you planned so you're ready to go tomorrow.

The journey to the athletics will probably have increased your pain without being able to get up and hobble around for a stretch.

Sending you love n hugs and healing thoughts

Trish xx

• Sheelee

Hi noddy and Trish,

I hadn't thought about the journey having aggravated things. There was also a longer walk to the arena than I remembered.

I'm back home now. I was only away from home for 3 nights, and despite the pain, I really enjoyed the Athletics.

Funnily enough, despite the home comforts, I am still in a fair amount of pain. That's probably been the journey back.

I had the passenger assist, which is a great service. They did offer me a wheelchair down to the platform. Me being me refused, as I watched a 2 year old disappear into the distance as she out walked me. What a twit!!

But thank you for your time and support. It's now a case of getting ready for the operation mid march. I never realised finger nails tasted so 👍!!

Sheelee xx

• Trish9556

@Sheelee

We all think we're invincible sometimes and we all support each other.

Lesson learnt until next time, and there will be a next time, I'm glad you had a good time and rest!

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• Sheelee

Thanks Trish,

Still a bit tearful, as the pain still bad. It seems to have got on top of me for a while.

Thinking of Edgey75. She's having a hip replacement today. Fingers crossed 🤞 🤞 that's she's more pain free already.

Sheelee xx

• Trish9556

@Sheelee

I think there must be something about today - I had a mini meltdown this morning with my pain and could hear my mum who passed in 2011 telling me to pull my socks up and remember whose daughter I am - didn't make the pain go away but made me smile.

Just remember the nice time you had away - you can start planning for the next one knowing you'll be post op and able to enjoy it a bit more - give yourself a target, book something and it'll do you good, just have alternative plans for the days in case you have to slow down a bit post op :)

I was thinking about Edgey75 as well - so jealous of both of you with your surgeries - can't even see the physio for my initial consultation until 20th March and that's probably going to have to be put back.

Love n hugs

Trish xx

• Sheelee

Hi Trish,

I'm still trying to pull myself out of the blues. I feel a bit overwhelmed by all the things I have to do. But I've been strict with myself, and really curtailed all the jobs I have put on my to do list. Hope your memories of your mum are helping, even though she sounds lije she was a superwoman! Not easy to do with arthritis.

That's a long time to wait. Whereabouts do you live? I do think there is a post code lottery with this field of medicine.

Sheelee xx

• Trish9556

Hi Sheelee

I'm in Aylesbury in Bucks and they're useless! It took 10 months to get seen by respiratory team after an urgent referral at the beginning of December 2021. That was downgraded and I was only seen due to constant chasing.

My physio assessment is probably going to have to be moved. Neck surgery postponed to 13th march and physio a week later. Not sure if the 13th will go ahead due to junior Dr strike. Really fed up with all the postponement.

With your to do list put it in priority order and just work through top to bottom. What doesn't get dive is least important. Stick to your list of priorities though and don't allow yourself to just cross that one from the bottom of the list off.i was a PA for many years and most if the time we were inundated with too much work. This was the only way I got my boss through his work.

Love n hugs

Trish xxxx